New Computer - Set up for editing with Sony Vegas 7.0 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old July 19th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #16
Major Player

Terry,

Okay... bear with me...

#1) Intel is producing *massive* price drops next week. I would not purchase this system now. http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=3038

#2) The place you are buying from is way too expensive on many items. The E6600 boxed can easily be had right now for as little as $219.

#3) $150 for a 7600GT is very high, despite the passive heatsink issue. Though a video card doesn't typically have a large effect on Vegas performance, I would still recommend going with an 8' series card for DirectX 10 compatability down the line.

#4) Consider buying the Antec P182 case. A place I buy 90% of my stuff from and really like is www.mwave.com Better prices than what I see here overall, great service and they have just about everything we've mentioned.

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:24 AM   #17
Major Player

Terry,

I ran through a similiarly configured system via the supplier I regularly use and the price is much less.

#1) The Plextor SATA burners are overkill. I use the NEC drives that I attached via IDE which is works perfectly. The interface is a non-issue with DVD-R type drives and frankly, the IDE standard is looked to via the OS, etc.

#2) Went with a cheaper and larger Hitachi drive that performs as well as the Seagate 7200.10's. 320Gb/ea as opposed to 250Gb.

#3) Upgraded to a 8600GT video card at a cheaper price. Yes, it has a fan, but they are relatively quite and the CPU fan will be louder anyhow.

#4) Went with more proven Corsair C4 memory. This memory used to cost $280 less than a year ago. Now it's half that amount and this, at the time, was some of the best memory around.

#5) Went with a modular high efficiency 500-watt PS. Don't be fooled by the big number of 600 wats. 500 is *more* than plenty of what you'll ever need and likely double what your system will use even at full capacity. You are fine here, SPECIALLY with a efficient CPU like the E6600

#6) Upgarded you to Antec quite P182 monster case.

#7) Gave you a better motherboard in my opinion

#8) Don't buy the CPU now! Intel is releasing new CPU's at far better price points next week and the motherboard I spec'd fully supports these new 1333Mhz CPU's. Good news not only will the chips be faster, they'll be cheaper. So expect to pay about or a little less for the new chips.

Looks like with shipping you can stay at or maybe under $2000.00. Insane...

Jon
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Terry-System.pdf (197.8 KB, 727 views)

Last edited by Jon McGuffin; July 19th, 2007 at 10:26 AM. Reason: grammar corrections
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 01:21 PM   #18
Major Player

Hey Jon thanks alot. I have a friend who is extreamly good with computers who put that together. However, we have never built a computer designed specifically for video editing. So this is the reason behind our set up submission to DVInfo.net.

This week I will use your constructive comments to build a final computer and submit for your review.

Jon you've been a great help.

-Terry.
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #19
Major Player

No problem Terry...

Another good reason to go with the 8600GT or GTS...
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3047

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC