Moving on from the XL-1 - could use some advice - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 15th, 2007, 09:41 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Also, it's possible to do too much hand wringing over all this. At a certain price, they're all pretty good cams these days. After that it's just preference. I happen to really like the controls and other bells and whistles of the XL series. Different strokes ...
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 10:41 AM   #17
New Boot

AGGHHHH! So confused!

You are right... all of you. I like the Canon's... know how they work and don't have to look up these days to change a setting.

I didn't want this to be a "what's the best camera" thread... there's too many of them already - and I am wringing my hands too much I think.

This is what I think I will do - buy the HV20 AND the HV A1. The HV20 will be great for the fam, and a secondary camera - and the A1 will give me the controls I want (sort of).

So, here's another thought... do the Nikon adapters (endless array of them it seems) work better with a lens that comes off XLH1, or one you have to shoot through HV A1? That would probably be the final deciding factor.

Sorry if this thread was running on too much.

TMS
Terry Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 02:01 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Smith View Post

So, here's another thought... do the Nikon adapters (endless array of them it seems) work better with a lens that comes off XLH1, or one you have to shoot through HV A1? That would probably be the final deciding factor.

Sorry if this thread was running on too much.

TMS
Most adapters that fit straight onto the camera, such as the XL1/1s/2/H1 will produce a X7 magnification. Therefore your 50mm Nikkor will be equivalent to a 350mm lens - try handholding that or even a 200mm Nikkor which will be a 1400mm lens.

I haven't used a lens system that attaches a lens to the front of a fixed lens (DOF), but be aware that the image in the viewfinder will be upside down and it’s a cumbersome rig.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited by Vincent Oliver; August 17th, 2007 at 02:02 AM. Reason: word addded
Vincent Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 03:08 AM   #19
Trustee

Most adapters will only go in front of the camera's primary lens. There are systems that use a relay lens instead of the XL camera lens to reduce bulk and complexity. I don't think they necessarily work any better, but they do make the system smaller.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 03:16 AM   #20
Trustee

The lens I was referring to is similar to a teleconverter, you place it on the camera instead of the XL lens and then you can fit your NIkon, or Canon 35mm lenses onto the camera, but as mentioned these produce a X7 magnification.
Vincent Oliver is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion