Best source for list of agents/managers of Directors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 15th, 2007, 05:09 PM   #1
Major Player

Best source for list of agents/managers of Directors

What are the best sources to get lists of agents and managers who respresent commercial Directors? thanks!
Kevin Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:08 PM   #2
Wrangler

Usually it's production companies that specialize in spots that rep directors.

There are also independent reps, but those, at least in my business (music videos), are for the really established guys.

I would start reading www.boardsmag.com on a regular basis to start tallying up in your head the active production companies.
Old August 17th, 2007, 06:11 PM   #3
Major Player

thanks Nate, acutally 411 has excellent list of production companies, but my editor pointed out that those companies are in fact, not agents or managers for all those directors you see listed on their sites. They are just people they have worked with. I'll still solicit to them down the road, but I want to solicit first, for a year, agents/managers.

Someone said today, best list for that is Hollywood Creative Directory, Representation book. If someone has a better list let me know.

thanks for link. What do you get out of boardsmag.com?
I'm not sure I even saw a forum there.
Kevin Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #4
Wrangler

Please trust me, I've been through this, I know of what I speak. Some production companies act as representation and guide new directors careers. I've been immersed in that world in Los Angeles for some years now; depending which year LA411 you pick up, I'm listed as a director with Bonfire Films, a music vid production company that had success in the late 90s...but I no longer do work with them.

As your editor stated, there are some situations in which directors simply "work with" a given production company for one-off jobs, but more often than not, people try to forge relationships. Baby directors need established production companies for career help and guidance. Established directors sometimes help launch new production company ventures.

What can you get from Boards Mag? Current info about what production companies are doing notable work. As you yourself go looking for representation, you will find yourself (hopefully) engaged in many conversations with executive producers and reps about which directors are busy, what agencies are looking for, etc, and a publication like Boards can be helpful with staying current.

I'll go one step deeper with my (unsolicited) advice, if you'll bear it: while getting representation can be an important step in developing a directing career, a lot of new directors view it like like most rock bands view "getting signed" as the end-all, be all of breaking in. It is not. In the end, it is developing your reel and forging relationships with agency creatives that will get you the work. Or, put simply: It is you that you get you your work mostly; not your rep.
Old August 18th, 2007, 11:26 AM   #5
Major Player

Excellent thanks Nate, I'm a commercial photographer for 15 years so I also have bit experience -- but not with film world.

My editor was just saying that when I go on those production sites and see list of directors, that it's misleading to assume that those directors are being repped by them, while in fact in 90% of cases they are just saying, "these are directors we have done projects with"

Hence, he was advising that I promote first with agents and managers of directors first, and then later hit on production companies (in logic that if I get an agent/manager, they would present me more properly... present me first)

Or do you disagree and think I should do both simutaneously?

(I'm going to do calls, cards, and meetings... the usual stuff)
Kevin Carter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion