Equipment Advice for Video Blogging at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 18th, 2007, 02:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Equipment Advice for Video Blogging

Hi everyone -

I need some advice on purchasing equipment for video blogging [aka vlogging]. I have a limited budget, but want the best quality I can oobtain.

I need a video camera, tripod, lavalier mics [for close miking] and professional lighting. Could you please recommend good camcorders to use as well as entry-level lighting equipment and microphones?

Also, I need to create a backdrop [composed of a recurring logo, like the pro. sports teams have]. Any advice on creating a optimized backdrop?

Thanks - your input is appreciated.
Old August 18th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #2
Major Player

Hello, Cornelius.

I'm not sure how much your budget is, or what you are even looking for in the camera, but I can recommend you the Canon Elura 100. Its a wonderful camera, and very small. And about as cheap as it comes for miniDV. You'll be shocked what you can do with it... Great if you are doing stuff out on the 'streets.

As for the backdrop, you might consider just getting a green/blue screen, and using that. Then just keying it out in your NLE. And if you don't have that option in yours already, you can always get one that does for a fair price.

Not sure about the rest, I don't have much experience yet, but thought I would share what I know.

Good luck,
~Gabriel
Old August 18th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Vlogging

Corneilius,

The cannon would be a good choice for a camera.
AKG makes a very affordable line of lav mics
or, for a little more money country man offers
a wireed lav that is very nice with a tiny capsule
that is easy to hide. As far as lighting, go check
out the videos we have posted and download the free
sample, if you are going to be in a fixed location,
this may be a great choice for you.

Good luck and keep at it
Matt Gore
Matthew Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Maybe you could post some youtube or other video-links to show us what production level you had in mind. Vlogging can be done in several styles: From using the webcam that's built-in on your laptop whilst you're sitting behind your desk, to having a studio setup with professional light and sound.
Paul Lashmana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone for replying.

Gabriel - Thanks for the camera recommendation. Actually I don't want to do a chroma key because of my inexperience in video editing. Actually, I don't know what editor to actually purchase yet. I want to use a custom made backdrop that has a recurring display of my logo on it [like what you see when the players and managers of professional sports teams use in brief media interviews; the backdrop is composed of their logo].

Matthew - Thanks, I'll check out those lavalier mics from my preffered AV provider.

Paul - Yes, I am looking for a semi-studio professional setup. While the budget may not allow for the best in AV equipment, I do desire the most professional setup that can be had. That includes the camera, sound, lighting, and aesthetically pleasing video editing results; something that does not screm "AMATEUR"! [lol]

Here's an example of the backdrop I need created [that will utilize my own business' logo]: http://www.vanhansis.net/glaad2007k.jpg
Old August 18th, 2007, 06:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Another Question

With using professional lavalier mics in conjunction with a [consumer grade] camera, what type of setup do I utilize with my computer. In other words, how do I link the audio [from the mics] with the video output [from the camera]?
Old August 20th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hello? Can anyone answer my additional questions?
Old August 21st, 2007, 07:34 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Two options

Either (a) connect the mike to the camera and let the camera do the digitizing, or (b) plug it in directly into your computer and have the computer digitize the audio.

I assume you will be using a digital camcorder and connect that to the computer via firewire. In this case I would recommend (a) and choosing a camera that has mike input so you can connect the mike to the camcorder. I have experimented extensively with both methods and find this method better, among other things, because there is no digitizing delay of the audio or video. In other words, depending on your hardware, when going with the mike directly into the computer, the audio will be either ahead or behind the video, which is something you need to correct in post. Windows Media Encoder for example would take either method, but (b) is much easier and better.

You say 'mikes' so I assume you will want to use more than one - in which case you will need an audio mixer; connect the mikes into the mixer and the output into the camcorder.

Another point for (a) is that if you intend to edit the captured footage with an NLE, then you will have both audio and video in the same AVI file - easier to work. I hope this helps.

Last edited by Ervin Farkas; August 22nd, 2007 at 05:52 AM. Reason: corrected typo
Ervin Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 02:39 PM   #9
Regular Crew

^Thanks for your input.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion