Educational Discounts on Editing Packages at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 20th, 2007, 10:02 AM   #1
Fred Retread

Educational Discounts on Editing Packages

Every once in a while this should probably be mentioned. I'd put one of these in each of the respective NLE forums, but I don't wanna get slapped around :>) So I thought this would be the best place.

Many people who qualify for big educational discounts on software don't know how liberal the policies are.

If you have a teacher or full or part time college student ("higher ed" is the actual spec, so technical schools probably qualify too) in your household, you can get one copy of Avid Xpress Pro right now for $250 (including a temporary $50 rebate).

If you have a teacher or any student, kindergarten through college including home schooled, you can get Premier Pro CS3 for $340.

Vegas and Avid Liquid are the most liberal. They include preschool! Vegas 7 + DVD for $270 and Avid Liquid for $150

Verification of eligibility is required, but simple, e.g. faxing or email-attaching a copy of some receipt, course registration, etc.. Prices are as of this writing. I don't want to promote any particular seller, so do a Google search on Academic Sofware, and the biggies will be obvious.
Old August 20th, 2007, 10:44 AM   #2
Major Player

One thing you have to be careful of is what you plan to do with the software license. For example, as a student I bought the educational copy of Avid Xpress Pro only to find out after the fact that the license is for non-commercial use only, meaning that if I did any work where I got paid, I would have to buy the commercial license. I'm not sure what the deal is with the other NLE's but to me, it's worth buying the commercial version.

Then again, I use Avid Xpress Pro for commercial reasons. If you are not, then I don't see anything wrong with getting the academic version because it is technically the same software.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 12:20 PM   #3
Major Player

I don't know what the restrictions are for other software packages, but with Final Cut Studio the Student Version cannot be upgraded.

FYI...
Old August 20th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Randolph View Post
I don't know what the restrictions are for other software packages, but with Final Cut Studio the Student Version cannot be upgraded.
True, but they have priced it so reasonably that buying the new version at the discount price is still reasonable if you're still a student or teacher. And if you aren't then I don't think it's too unreasonable to expect to pay full price like the "rest of us."

But one good thing about the Apple educational package is there are no restrictions on WHAT you can use it for, as long as you meet the qualifications to make the purchase.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 12:26 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Craggs View Post
as a student I bought the educational copy of Avid Xpress Pro only to find out after the fact that the license is for non-commercial use only
This is why you should always read the license agreements before you spend money on expensive software. This is a mistake that can very easily be avoided.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion