Starting Out with Video Editing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 21st, 2007, 02:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Starting Out with Video Editing

Where are some resources that I obtain in my introduction to video editing?

Basically, I want to know camera formats, various NLE editors, audio setup, switching [multiple camera formats], lighting, and a host of other things.

Where do I go to learn all this?

Also, what type of equipment do you suggest to the amateur videographer from camera, editor, lighting, and sound?

Thanks.
Old August 21st, 2007, 03:08 PM   #2
Major Player

I've been learning for about a year now through reading (the kind of books that have exercises so you can do that work not just read about it), taking classes at my local community college, and just DOing things. Trying things out is the best way I've found to learn.

Find a short script, shoot it (get whatever you can for gear - your old Digital8 Handycam, some shop lights, your moms house...whatever you can), load it in your computer and edit. If you have a mac, you can get iLife for like $80 and that comes with iMovie for editing and GarageBand for sound. PC has Microsoft MovieMaker, not sure if that is free as part of XP or not. There are lots of lowcost (under $100) editing packages available for PC, just google it.

Gear all depends on how much you have and are willing to spend right now. To start out, you just need a camera with Firewire/iLink output and a computer with editing software. Lights/mics/etc can all come later, if you are really just starting out - shoot your film outside in the day and you have all the light you need.

Hope that info helps a little. Not knowing where you are as far as skill and money makes it hard to give exact advise. DVinfo has tons of threads to discuss what camera, lights, mics, software...etc.. to get - you just need to run a search and have a budget in mind.
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 04:20 PM   #3
Inner Circle

VASST has training DVDs on the many of the major NLEs around (FCP, Premiere, Avid, Vegas). They would be a good place to start. They also have titles on production topics like lighting and directing (Victor Milt's titles are great) and on the art of editing.

The website is http://www.vasst.com and the coupon code should be "dvinfo" without the quotes.

2- If you let us know
(A) what NLEs you're looking at (or if you don't know)
(B) what type of work you'd like to do (indie films, weddings, corporate, etc. etc.)

then the folks on this board could give you some more detailed advice.

3-
Quote:
It can be a good idea to learn the ropes from professionals who are doing work in the area you are trying to get in.

Supplement that with playing around on your own, going through training materials, and posting/reading boards like this one.

There are many different areas of editing though. For some areas like online editing, the only way to get in is to work an entry-level position at one of those companies and learn their equipment (which you otherwise don't have access to... $$$) and work your way up the ladder. For other areas, many professionals are self-taught. And to some degree, you are constantly learning the technical side of things as it changes so fast... editing equipment 20 years ago is very different than what it is today (e.g. online editing was done in linear bays).

Last edited by Glenn Chan; August 21st, 2007 at 04:59 PM.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 05:51 PM   #4
Major Player

Your public library might also be a good place to start for materials. If you are using a DV handycam, any computer built in the last 5 years or so with an ieee 1394 (firewire, i-link) connection and editing software should work, including MS's MovieMaker or Apples' i-movie, which are free. And most major editing software can be downloaded as trial software, so you can get a taste of it. Whatever camcorders or software you end up with, I strongly suggest you get at least some experience with the free/inexpensive stuff until you can get a real feel for what you are getting into.

Hands on apprenticing with a pro, or just experimenting at home will help immensely. It's one thing to read about proper exposure, another to come home after a shoot with your subjects face to dark to see and an over exposed window in the background to really focus you on the challenges every vidographer faces. When it becomes YOUR problem, the answers in books and tutorials become so much clearer to understand.

Good luck and welcome...
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 09:41 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Jump in.....

One of the best ways to jump in is to partake of theDVChallenge and the UWOL Challenge here at DVInfo. Like the others have said, you can read and study it all you want but until you do it your just reading.

The two contests are designed to encourage folks to just get out and do something. Check them out.

Randy

@Eric: Thanks for the library plug!
Randall Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 02:47 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelius Allen View Post
Where are some resources that I obtain in my introduction to video editing?

Basically, I want to know camera formats, various NLE editors, audio setup, switching [multiple camera formats], lighting, and a host of other things.

Also, what type of equipment do you suggest to the amateur videographer from camera, editor, lighting, and sound?

Thanks.

Cornelius,

As others have said, there are a lot of resources for learning how to shoot and operate cameras, lights etc.

If you're interested in learning the basics of EDITING, however there isn't as much available.

*SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT*

That's why a couple of years ago I developed a DVD self-instruction set on the basic skills of video editing. (not on how to operate an NLE - but rather how to EDIT)

It's called StartEditingNow! - and it's being used as school carriculum in more then a dozen states and we've sold it into more than 20 countries internationally.

The fun thing about it is that along with basic editing skills lessons, it also includes professionally shot VIDEO FOOTAGE in our unique "multi-track movie" format that you can load into any NLE and ... well, do what the title promises!

Currently there's a consumer edition, and a "classroom workshop edition" that has content of interest to younger editors - plus lesson plans, classroom enrichment activities and other education-related assets.

We also have a new edition coming out for this holiday season that will include our first MULTICAM MULTI-TRACK movie - so that people with NLEs that do multicam live switching can have some great, professionally shot footage to work with.

Check it out at www.starteditingnow.com

Sorry for the commercial, but I thought it might be something you'd find interesting.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion