DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   I'm starting a Video Production and Editing Class and Need Help! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/102094-im-starting-video-production-editing-class-need-help.html)

Deb DePreece August 25th, 2007 09:02 AM

I'm starting a Video Production and Editing Class and Need Help!

Hello,
I am a high school teacher. I am starting a new video production and editing class, and I really do not know much about this subject.

The Video Editing software we are using is Avid (which REALLY scares the living daylights out of me).

We are starting with basic camera info, such as the switch locations and automatic settings.

Does anyone have any project ideas...or movie ideas that I could show when we are discussing certain topics? Some of the things we will cover are planning a video (Storyboard/script), audio, budgeting, Directing a cast and crew, etc.

I have never had a video class myself...so I will be asking a lot of questions! Thanks for any help.

David Stoneburner August 25th, 2007 10:27 AM

Deb,
I'm down here in Dayton. I'm the video production manager at WSU. Please contact me if I can help.

Just to start out, I would stick with the basics first. Do small projects that add different techniques every project. There is a great basic book out "The Bare Bones Camera Course for Film and Video" by Tom Schroeppel. Here is a link to a review. http://www.dvguru.com/2006/08/16/rev...ilm-and-video/

We use it for our most basic introduction to TV/Video production class. It's a good starting point.

As for editing, I don't want to get into an NLE war. They all have their good and bad points. Personally I don't like the Avid interface. I think it is harder for a beginner to learn. But that is purely a personal choice of mine. Our edit suites have Premiere Pro CS3.

Just some ideas to start with.

Deb DePreece August 25th, 2007 11:14 AM

Thanks David

I will definitely be asking a lot of questions as the year goes on. I am new to teaching, and this is just a class that we knew would build our department. I want it to be a success...but to be completely honest, I don't know what I'm doing. I've never even owned a video camera! It will be fun to learn.

I agree with you about Avid. I am just working with what the school already had. The previous teacher was a guru at this stuff....and it was his hobby.

I find Avid extremely difficult to learn....and I don't think its user friendly at all. Something is always going wrong.

I also wonder why they went with something so sophisticated for the high school level. In many ways, Avid is not applicable to their real lives....unless they will do this for a living. They might use MovieMaker or something more home-based in real life though.

Anyways....the book we are using is Video Communication and Production by Jim Stinson. It goes has Chapters on Video Space, Video Time, Composition, Language, Sound, Lighting, Audio, etc. It seems like a good book.

Do you ever show movies/movie clips as examples of certain concepts? I think the high school kids would like that.

I am giving them small video assignments where they have to show me an example of how to do a concept in the chapter.

This class scares me to death. I hope I can get past the fear and enjoy it. Thanks for the reply!!

Chris Harris August 25th, 2007 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deb DePreece (Post 734202)
The previous teacher was a guru at this stuff....and it was his hobby.

Where did he go?

Mike Teutsch August 25th, 2007 03:13 PM

Deb,

What cameras and other equipment are you going to use? What computers, how many?

Mike

Kevin Randolph August 25th, 2007 03:25 PM

Deb,
You may consider contacting Columbus State Community College here in Columbus. The Interactive Multimedia Production Department has just recently (2 maybe 3 years ago) installed an Avid editing lab. I believe that they have talked with high schools before about video programs at the high schools. Here's the link to their homepage:

http://www.cscc.edu/IMMT/index.htm

Maybe see if you can get ahold of the syllabus for their Intro to A/V class and review it.

For examples of films to show clips to the students in your class I would recommend a good mix of current movies with an emphasis on the AFI top 5 or 10 movies from the list on this page:

http://www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/movies.aspx

The list is downloadable on the right hand menu at the top.

A book I would recommend that you become familiar with is "Avid Editing, A Guide for Beginning and Intermediate Users" by Sam Kauffman, 3rd Edition. It is a pretty straight forward book on how to use the Avid and should get you comfortable with the interface so that you can answer the student's questions.

I hope this helps, or at least gives you some ideas...

Kevin

Jay Kavi August 25th, 2007 09:41 PM

Hey Deb,

I taught film production to middle and high school students, can definitely give some info or suggestions if your interested just shoot me an email.

Sanjay

Bill Davis August 29th, 2007 08:38 PM

[QUOTE=Deb DePreece;734136]Hello,
I am a high school teacher. I am starting a new video production and editing class, and I really do not know much about this subject.

Deb,

Check out the "Classroom Workshop Edition" at www.starteditingnow.com.

(Disclaimer: I produce this series, so I'm biased.)

Guy Cochran August 30th, 2007 02:56 PM

For a quick overview, see some of the examples on this http://www.dvcreators.net/shooting-awesome-video/

Stan Long September 4th, 2007 03:20 PM

Lima Ohio Video Production

Hi Deb,
I run a video production company here in Lima called Hannisdal Express (hannisdalexpress.com). I actually grew up in Lima and know most of the schools pretty well - I've been away for several years producing media in other parts of the country and around the world. I still produce media all over but have found Lima to be a good base.

If I can be of any assistance feel free to contact me - I would definitely have an interst in helping students here locally.

(you can contact me via info@hannisdalexpress.com)

Sherri Sheridan September 13th, 2007 02:08 PM

Visual Storytelling vs Equipment Focus?

Hi Deb,

One of the most important things you can teach students in a digital filmmaking class is how to tell a great visual story that evokes emotion and has lots of suspense. I always think it is interesting that people focus so much on the equipment being used rather than the film story being created.

But then again I am more into the story part. I have a free online 94 minute class with a workbook made just for classes like yours! It takes the students through a step-by-step process for thinking up a story and developing it at www.myflik.com. It's more fun to make a film that has a great story.

Email me if you need any help - I've been teaching for awhile at sherri@mindseyemedia.com.

Good luck and be inspiring!