DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   I don't usually like to ask these kinds of questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/102599-i-dont-usually-like-ask-these-kinds-questions.html)

Les Nagy August 31st, 2007 11:44 PM

I don't usually like to ask these kinds of questions

After working extensively with my XL2, I have come up with a wish list for my next camera. I have been poking around the forums on various sites trying to narrow things down but each camera I think is going to do it ends up short for me. I am moving to HD in some manner and would like the following:

Camera layout similar to an XL2 or the JVC HD series
Interchangable lenses
Stock lens with true manual operation and AF and IS
24P, 30P, 60i, 60P (variable rate of the HVX would be nice too)
I like the idea of the HVX recording options and formats
True 1920x1080 progressive chips or 1440 at least
SDI out
Good focus assist/confirmation tools

So I am sure I have come up with more than one person's dream camera and it probably exists, but what exists for something in the $10k up to $20k range. What would I have to drop from my dream list here to get into the range or even lower?

Chris Harris September 1st, 2007 12:11 AM

It sounds like you're looking for something like the Canon XL-H1. Might want to look in that direction, although there's no 60p option.

Steven Bills September 1st, 2007 04:58 PM

In the 20k range there's RED...

Just sayin.

SB

Steve House September 2nd, 2007 02:40 AM

Sony XDCAM-HD F330

Les Nagy September 2nd, 2007 03:50 AM

I see from the replies, I need to scale back my expectations a bit :)

The Red One is certainly something I would love to have, but $20k gets you nothing but a body. Total cost for a reasonably outfitted system is around $50k IMHO.

The Sony certainly gets me there, but also beyond my budget at the moment. It looks like a reasonable body/lens combo would be around $30k USD. Thats close, but I was hoping for below $20k. I guess I am a little naive.

Edit: Oops, I priced a 350 instead. The XDCAM-HD F330 is looking close.

BTW Steve, we share the same home town.

Steve House September 2nd, 2007 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Nagy (Post 738143)
I see from the replies, I need to scale back my expectations a bit :)

The Red One is certainly something I would love to have, but $20k gets you nothing but a body. Total cost for a reasonably outfitted system is around $50k IMHO.

The Sony certainly gets me there, but also beyond my budget at the moment. It looks like a reasonable body/lens combo would be around $30k USD. Thats close, but I was hoping for below $20k. I guess I am a little naive.

Edit: Oops, I priced a 350 instead. The XDCAM-HD F330 is looking close.

BTW Steve, we share the same home town.

Hiya neighbor!