Wide-angle lens question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 30th, 2003, 09:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wide-angle lens question

0.5x or 0.55x wide-angle lens.

For a small camcorder that has 37mm filter size,
is it good to use a 37mm wide-angle lens OR
step up ring with 58mm wide-angle lens.

I read somewhere, by using 58mm lens, the best part
of the wide-angle lens (center spot) is used. Where as
using a 37mm wide-angle lens distorts the edges.

If the 58mm lens is used with stepup ring, will the
video quality suffer (focus,sharpness) because of the
distance between the actual lens and wide-angle lens.

Also, there are cheaper (~$75) and costly (~$175) lens
available. What is the difference? This will help me to
make decision. Thanks,
Srinivasa Yerneni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 12:46 AM   #2
Outer Circle

The best wide angle adaptor in the 37mm size that I know about is the Tiffen. It has zoom through, no distortion and no vignetting. It's about a .5 wide, and the adaptor has filter threads in front. The glass is also of very high quality.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 12:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Frank,
Did you have a chance to compare Tiffen with Raynox HD-5000? Do additional $60 for Raynox buy something?
Vladimir Koifman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 12:53 PM   #4
High School Student

The HD-5000PRO, by Raynox, seems to be the one to get. I've been wanting one for a while now, but i'm broke. It has lots of barrel distortion though, which I personally like, but that may be a problem with you.

About stepping upto a 58mm lens...I don't know. The only problem I could see with it, is like you mentioned, it just uses the center, that would be good, BUT it wouldn't be nearly as wide...
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 12:53 PM   #5
Outer Circle

I have not seen the Raynox. But I've read that the Raynox for the MX - 43mm size via the step ring is very good, better than Tiffen's 43mm wide angle adaptor.
Old May 31st, 2003, 02:24 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Interesting.
I've read a lot of complains on excessive flare in Raynox WA lens, when at full zoom. Even Raynox themselves mention this problem on their site.
How is Tiffen lens in that respect?
Is Tiffen sharp from side-to-side and in full zoom range?
Old May 31st, 2003, 03:26 PM   #7
Trustee

My opinion is to buy the best quality lens that you can afford at the 37mm size. You may have to go to a 43mm but going bigger costs more money and to what end? There isn't a lot of experience with 37mm lenses on this forum because they deal with mainly prosumer cameras.

Flare is an indication of poor or insufficient coating. A healthy lens hood would also be required.

Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 03:28 PM   #8
High School Student

The Raynox HD5000Pro, COMES WITH 5 stepup/down rings. From 28-43mm...and yes, 37mm is in there.
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 04:25 PM   #9
Trustee

The raynox HD5000 pro,has 62mm threads and a 66mm barrel. it's rated at 600 lines and goes for $140
The canon and sony while top notch glass are only .70 WA converters. you wind up with an extra 20%. I'd certainly take a closer look.

http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/video/hd5000pro/index.htm.
The Canon WDH37 37mm wide angle adapter 62mm barrel with no filter threads. Canon has always made first rate glass. Approx $135

The Sony VCL-HG0737X 37mm High Grade 0.7 Wide Angle Converter Lens (67mm lens barrel)Sony's high grade lenses are always sharp. Approx $135

The cream of the crop and for only $200 the Century DS05Cv37. The same goodies as the Raynox but by the leader in lense quality.

Look at a shade to prevent flare and peotect from bumps. If you do use a filter on the raynox buy a 3mm thin UV
Old May 31st, 2003, 04:58 PM   #10
Outer Circle

I have said, a number of times, that the Tiffen 37mm wide angle is the best 37mm wide angle adaptor: high grade glass, full zoom-through, no distortion, no vignetting, sharp all the way through---and it does have coatings. I didn't notice any flaring. The Tiffen 37mm wide is a better lens than the Tiffen 43mm. Again, I have never seen/tried the Raynox, but I have heard that it is also good---better than the Tiffen 37mm wide, I don't believe so. I suggest phoning around to see who has these adaptors and testing them for yourself. Oops. One fellow here in Vancouver already has done this, with his TRV950; Tiffen came out on top. I also recall him posting it on this forum somewhere.
Old May 31st, 2003, 05:51 PM   #11
Trustee

They are on back order as are half the items tiffen makes . Or so it seems.
Old May 31st, 2003, 06:03 PM   #12
Outer Circle

http://www.leoscamera.com has the Tiffen 37mm wide in stock. Last I checked the cost was about $137 Canadian. And, yes, Leo's often complains about how long they have to wait to get Tiffen products in---like 6 or more months for their popular Black Pro Mist 3. Anyways, here's a source for the 37mm wide. You can contact Peter for more info:

peter@leoscamera.com
Old June 1st, 2003, 06:21 AM   #13
Warden

I believe Tiffen is still in Chapter 11 Bankruptcy. Delivery from Tiffen has always been slow and inventory levels spotty, but the Chapter 11 just makes matters worse. I've not heard how their reorganizing efforts are coming.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2003, 07:05 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I've just made a quick google search and found sombody confirming Frank's statement about Tiffen superiority:

http://www.pechorin.com/messages/189784.html

However, it looks like Tiffen does not support zoom to a full telephoto end. This might be camera dependent though.
Old June 1st, 2003, 10:32 AM   #15
Outer Circle

I just want to add..., The sales people are experts at Leo's. They work closely with the photo, video and film industry. Some are accomplished photographers, videographers, while others have a film degree and have worked (or still work) in the industry. None of them work on commission. What they sell, they test, and they are always there to share this information and even help you to do the tests---and you can always rent these products through their rentals, for further testing.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion