A 2K tape stock at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 3rd, 2007, 04:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A 2K tape stock

With the advent of HD tape in 2001, how close are we to a tape stock that can handle 2K resolution. Because when you shoot a film on HD you also have to do a 2k scan with is larger then 1920x1080 and so far the best source for 2k video is 35mm film.

The Panavison Genises and the Sony Cinealta 950 both have this 12.4 RGB megapixal senors, if you had a tape stock that could handle 2k resolution then would it be possible to remodify these cameras to record on that type of tapestock?
Robert McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 07:31 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Not likely to happen for two important reasons. First is the prohibitively expensive cost of high resolution video to tape. Right now the high end tape-based format is HDCAM SR, recording 1920x1080 to cassettes which cost about $100 for 30 minutes of recording time, on VTRs that cost upwards $100,000. I don't see a 2K tape-based format for anything less than that. Second reason, the big industry push is toward tapeless acquisition. 2K video is already happening with flash-based and drive-based recording media, at a fraction of the cost of tape-based systems. Just my two cents.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 07:37 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Panasonic's D-5 decks might be able to be outfitted with a card that allows 2K recording.

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...tGroupId=14594

Or maybe it's only JPEG2000 at HD resolution- I'm not sure.

2- Sony is probably working on 2k recording on HDCAM SR.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I don't think the SR tape format can handle full 2k resolution. I think if you going to have a camera that records 2k images on a harddrive then that very harddrive needs to be inside the camera, like say a 3 or 4 terabyte harddrive in a 2k digital camera. That sounds like the best idea, but I best idea would be the make the harddrives removable.

Also, I don't really trust high compression video formats like the VC-1 or the H.264. Their good for HDDVD but for long jevotey, I like say maybe a lossless video and sound formats like something at 40 or 50 mbits.
Robert McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 12:02 AM   #5
Inner Circle

The 2K and 4K from camera's like the SI2K, RED, and DALSA don't shoot compressed with VC-41 or H.264.
SI2K works with Cineform Avi's (if I'm not mistaken)
RED works with a visual losless Wavelet based RAW codec.
and I'm not mistaken the Dalsa works uncompressed.
(with RED you have this option too, don't know about the SI2K, but the quality of the REDCODE RAW codec is for most people too good, for people to choose the cumbersome uncompressed for shooting)
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thats great and all but is there like say propper upconvertion software or hardware that can upscale HD up to 2K and at the same time stretch the image if you shoot animorphic?
Robert McGee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion