DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   low light solution (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/10366-low-light-solution.html)

Adam Lawrence June 1st, 2003 02:38 PM

low light solution

I hear, time and time again, on how the XL1 is on the bottom of the spectrum as far as shooting in low light.

Which camera or cameras(s) would somone recommend to shoot
in the lowest of light.

so far i hear the PD-150 is ideal.

any input??

Thanks in advance

Alex Knappenberger June 1st, 2003 02:46 PM

No way. The XL1s is a pretty good camera in low light, just about as good as the VX2000/PD150, if not just as good...

Anyway, yeah the VX2000/PD150 is for sure the camera to get for "low light", but you still need a light source no matter what.

Don Bloom June 1st, 2003 03:26 PM

What are you considering "low light"-go to mfg. web sites read the info as to what the XL1s and PD150 can do according to the manufacturers specs and go from there.

Adam Lawrence June 1st, 2003 03:30 PM

im shooting in a low light banquet hall....

last time i shot in the same situation, the footage came out grainy and warm... thus the gain being at 12 DB, in order to capture anything but black. Additional light is not an option....I suppose post would have to save the day once more.

I have acces to just about any pro-sumer DV cam for this shoot...
(well besides the DVX100 of course) so i am just exploring my options. I hear the sonys tend to shoot a bit cooler in color as well.

Alex Knappenberger June 1st, 2003 03:47 PM

Maybe it was "warm" because you didn't white balance correctly.

I don't think the VX2000/PD150 is going to do much of a better job then the XL1. I've seen that camera perform well in "low light" a couple times. It must be very dark in there, or something.

Adam Lawrence June 1st, 2003 04:26 PM

the white balance was fine..the camera tends to shoot warmer in some situations...does compliment the low light atmosphere much. I agree.. theres probably not much of a difference between cameras. Just thought there was some signifigance in some of the sony models..

John Steele June 2nd, 2003 06:24 AM

Adam,

I've used both cams and the sony Vx2000/PD-150 are definately better than the XL1 in low light.

John.

Andrew Petrie June 2nd, 2003 07:17 AM

I'd definately like to hear more experiences with the XL1/S in low light. Suggestions helping improve the picture quality would be faaaaantastic.

Frank Granovski June 2nd, 2003 01:33 PM

Yes, in "lower light," the XL1 shows nice warm but detailed colors. In areas with dark spots (corners, etc), it would be a good idea to use a onboard video light, so where you point your cam, that's where the light will be pointing. Honestly, a good light will help quite a bit. By the way, the XL1/(S) is very, very good with lower light compared with other cams. I have lots of XL1 footage. Personally, I like the XL1 footage/colors more than that from a VX2000/150/250---more realistic and pleasant, though the Sonys are sharper (but colder).

Bryan Beasleigh June 2nd, 2003 02:01 PM

"more realistic and pleasant, though the Sonys are
sharper (but colder)."

Out of the box yes and some like the Sony for that reason. Just fiddle with the custom preset, you can dial any flavor you want. You can soften and warm an image as much as you like.

Frank Granovski June 2nd, 2003 02:07 PM

Nothing personal, Bryan. I actually like the VX2000 better because it's smaller and easier to hold than a XL1. It's just I've seen indoor, low light footage from both cams, and I prefer the XL1 footage. Yes, tweaking can produce magic sometimes. :)

PS: for outdoor low light footage, I prefer VX2000 footage (rolleyes.gif).

Bryan Beasleigh June 2nd, 2003 02:09 PM

Magic???? It's called adjusting the camera to suite your taste. (eek.gif)

Frank Granovski June 2nd, 2003 02:10 PM

It's magic to me!

Rick Spilman June 2nd, 2003 04:05 PM

One of my pet peeves is the comment that Sony cams have "cooler" footage than Canon or whomever. If you use the Sony presets it may be cooler. Sony has a cooler and flatter preset than I like so the first thing I did with both my Sony prosumer cams was to boost the color to my taste using the custom preset feature.

Last night I finally got around to watching "The King is Alive". It is a Dogme 4 film shot with PD150s. Wow, the colors in that film are just fantastic. The shots of the desert are rich and powerfully vivid. The scenes lit only by kerosene or firelight are wonderful. Levering made magic with these little cameras.

OK, enough of my ranting. Bottom line anyone who gets footage from a PD150 that is "cooler" than he or she likes just isn't using the capabilities of the camera.

Adam Lawrence June 2nd, 2003 04:15 PM

yeah thats what i hear... never used any of the sony pro-sumer cams. But from time and time again people say it handles low light better and has (blue-ish) preset footage as opposed to the XL1.

I think im going to stick to the XL1 for this shoot...see iff i can gather any available light at the time and take great advatage of it. I think ill shoot 6 DB and make lighten it up in post. Should work out for the best.