DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Putting a 58mm threaded lens on a consumer camera made for smaller ones... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/10373-putting-58mm-threaded-lens-consumer-camera-made-smaller-ones.html)

Alex Knappenberger June 1st, 2003 07:43 PM

Putting a 58mm threaded lens on a consumer camera made for smaller ones...

Hey, I'm considering this 58mm lens, because it seems to be the only one like it...but I don't have a camera with 58mm threads, just 43mm...but thats not the problem, since I can buy a 43mm to 58mm step up ring for $10. My question is, would this work? It's a fisheye lens, and basically i'm just worried it won't be wide enough, or as wide as it would be on a camera more matched for it... considering the size of the lens behind it isn't as big as the one on a camera made for that size of lens...like a VX2000, not a $400 1CCD camera, like mine. Hopefully I explained what I am worried about, good enough...

Thanks.

Bryan Beasleigh June 1st, 2003 08:08 PM

That's a lot of weight on an aluminum stepping ring (most of the inexpensive stepping rings are aluminum) That sounds like a pretty drastic jump in lens size as well. My gut says don't.

Alex Knappenberger June 1st, 2003 11:06 PM

Thanks. My gut says it's not a good idea, either, for different reasons though. I don't think the stepping ring would have a problem holding it...

Chris Hurd June 1st, 2003 11:35 PM

There are 43mm wide-angle adapters available.

Frank Granovski June 2nd, 2003 02:14 AM

Alex, Pana has one and Tiffen has one, in the 43mm size. The Pana is probably better but doesn't come with filter threads on the front---just get a slip-on lens hood for a bit of protection.

John Jay June 2nd, 2003 12:42 PM

Alex

going from 43 to 58 depends on the quality of the stepper

Go for a GOYO stepper (the best IMO)

if not go military two step 43-49 then 49-58 which will spread the load a bit more

ive used a 1 lb 52mm widey on a 37mm no probs but it was a GOYO

Adrian Douglas June 2nd, 2003 09:09 PM

I'm not 100% sure Alex, but using a fisheye designed for a 58mm lens on a 43mm lens may reduce the distortion effect if the lenses have different fields of view.

Alex Knappenberger June 2nd, 2003 09:16 PM

Adrian, thats what my main question was concerning, thanks. Yeah, I don't think it has to do as so much of the field of view of the camera lens, since it would be about the same on my camera as on a camera with a bigger lens/filter size...but the size of the actual lens itself...get what i'm saying?

Adrian Douglas June 3rd, 2003 11:00 AM

In theory it should work as the step up rings will shift the optical planes of the fisheye forward so your 43mm lens should see the full view of the adapter. In practise though it may not, the best thing to do would be to give it a try, take your camera and the lens to a good shop and tell them what you are trying to do.

I just bought a fisheye lens for my still camera to shoot some skateboarding and the distortion is most evident at the extreme edges of the lens's FOV. With this in mind it's best to try out the step ring set-up and see if it give the effect you are after.