Running Clock Graphic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 17th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #1
Major Player

Running Clock Graphic

Hello All,

I need a clock graphic that will run in real time. The idea is that we are showing how long a process will take and we want a clock to start counting the time when the technician starts, and stop it once the process is finished... we'll run it in the lower right corner.

I have AE, but if this is already available, that would be great!

If not available, any tips on how to do this??

Thanks guys!!
Old September 17th, 2007, 05:39 PM   #2
Major Player

In After Effects, there is an Effect under Text called Timecode. Apply that effect to your layer of footage or a layer above and you got yourself timecode!

Hope this helps.
Shawn McCalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 06:44 PM   #3
Major Player

Or if you want analog, you can easily make a clock face in photoshop and rotate a hand, or hands on it.
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I needed a clock for a project once and I did with a couple of shareware / freeware software downloads like this.

1) Download a clock program that will display a clock in whatever format you want. I don’t remember what I used, but it would let me change the font, color, size, background of the clock. I am sure if you search around download.com you can find something you like.

2) Get a screen capture program that will let you capture your screen (or a portion of it) to a video file. Again, I don’t remember what I found, but I think it was a time limited demo that let me specify a region of the screen, press record, then create an AVI or MOV. It was desigened for people creating demo videos for software I think.

3) Set the recorder to record and then start the clock running. If you need a stopwatch showing the time something takes then just set the clock to stopwatch mode and record for longer than the longest clip you will need to time. You will end up with a movie of a clock counting from 0 – whatever (or counting down if you need it).

4) Use your NLE software to position, resize, crop, and overlay the clock video (I actually keyed out the black background using and alpha key so the digits floated over the video) to place the clock over the video you want to show time for. If you need to lapse time, then just cut the video file so the stopwatch time matches what you want it to read.

Hope this helps out
David Fleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:38 PM   #5
Major Player

Hey, thanks guys, great tips!!
Old September 17th, 2007, 08:02 PM   #6
Regular Crew

"SnagIt" From TechSmith (http://www.techsmith.com) will record screen video, as the post above suggests, and there is a free, fully functioning 30 day trial.
Dearl Golden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion