Computer/Editing station question re: RAID. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 21st, 2007, 07:24 AM   #1
Major Player

Computer/Editing station question re: RAID.

I bought a turnkey system w/Adobe CS2 Prod Studio Premium and Aspect HD. It came w/1 system drive and a 1.5 TB RAID, comprised of a number of hard drives. It was set up to access the RAID as my "H" drive.

My question is: when I need to do maintenance, i.e. defrag or any other "system tools stuff", should I treat the RAID like any other single hard drive in my computer? I've been avoiding such maintenance from my lack of knowledge and fear of really hosing my machine, but think I'm about due for some maintenance.

Where can I learn more about what quirks/dangers I might encounter when maintaining a RAID? Any input from experience, or sites where I could learn more, w/b appreciated.

Thanks.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 07:35 AM   #2
Inner Circle

FWIW, my desktop "C" drive is a 500gb RAID(0) array that I treat as a normal drive as far as defragging, disk cleanup, chkdsk, etc and I've had no problems.
Old September 21st, 2007, 08:55 AM   #3
Major Player

You treat a raid array as a single drive regardless of how many drives make up the array.

One drawback of RAID is that by incorporating more than one drive into your system you reduce the MTTF (Mean Time To Failure). There is a formula to work it out that you may be able to Google.

Not really something to worry about though aslong as you backup regularly. With video due to the nature of file sizes incremental backups are best. Try a product called Vembu Storegrid.
Dave Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 10:29 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Robinson View Post
...One drawback of RAID is that by incorporating more than one drive into your system you reduce the MTTF (Mean Time To Failure). ...
Good point - I haven't had any problems traceable to disk utilities but I did have a drive failure just before the first of the year. Had a close call because I didn't have a recent backup but luckily was able to pull one off before the entrire drive went south and only lost a couple of trivial items. But after replacing it I now have Norton Ghost doing an automated incremental backup to an external drive every evening.
Old September 25th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #5
Major Player

I'd recommend atleast RAID level 5.
Dave Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 05:35 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I have a 4 drive RAID 5 1TB NAS box. When one of the 250GB drives fails it is an overnight rebuild. The array is usable during the rebiild. Rebuild time is proportional to the size of the individual drives, and some very high end system users keep the drives much smaller than you might think to minimize rebuild time. As rebuild time increases, your exposure to a second (and fatal) error increases. Recently RAID 6 is gaining in popularity as it would require 3 failures to completely fail the array.

I think RAID 1 is probably the simplest and easiest to implement as you always have two complete copies available. Drawback is that you need 50% extra disk space.

It isn't so popular anymore, but RAID 3 can give exceptional performance. Not sure if any of the commonly available card support it these days but we used to use it for supercomputing systems
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 04:15 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
I have a 4 drive RAID 5 1TB NAS box. ...
I'm looking into adding a NAS to my network ... what brand are you using?
Old September 26th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Steve,

I have a Buffalo TeraStore 1TB. It isn't probably that well known in the US but my client in Japan (NEC) uses a bunch of them in their development lab as small workgroup file servers, so I gave it a try. Amazon sells them

My first unit ran fine for almost a year and then one day after what looked like a normal shutdown the controller failed and data was unrecoverable. I had a backup (about 6 weeks old) so I wasn't in too bad a state. The folks at tech support were very elpful and tried a bunch of things but in the end I had to replace the unit. The new one is a later model and in every way seems much more stable than the first one. I've had it runing for a few months now and I've powered it up and down dozens of times and no problems.

The unit has two USB ports in the back and you can hook up a couple of USB drives, and in the newer version they have a backup utility that willperiodically sync the USB drives with the NAS box. I haven't played with it yet, but I think (just THINK) I could set it up to keep two USB backups in sync with the NAS itself.

It will support Raid 1 or Raid 5. It runs on Gigiabit Ethernet and has support for Jumbo frame sizes which really helps large file transfers compared to having touse 1500 byte blocks as per standard ethernet protocol.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion