freeze frame with tracking at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 22nd, 2007, 06:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

freeze frame with tracking

Hi folks,

i'm planning a frozen people effect for a video i'm making, i've got a pretty good idea of how to do it with double-shooting on a tripod and masking but i was wondering would it be remotely possible to do a frozen people/object thing with a track as well, that is, without doing some rather complicated 3D modelling SFX.

Basically, how did the new Birds Eye advert with Suggs in? See:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-chd1v38Kho

I'd be interested to know how they did it anyway. There's stuff like Heroes too where he stops time and it then starts again but of course, that's some serious budget SFX. I'm sure there's a low-budget way of doing this kind of stuff... there's always a cheaper option out there somewhere. hehe.

cheers,

baldwin
Baldwin Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2007, 06:32 PM   #2
Major Player

My bet is that the cards were duplicated in CG, and the camera was just moved like that. Everyone stopped, and some FX were applied to fix some things (like a swinging piece of jewelry on the woman walking, or something like that).

A friend of mine did a test that worked fairly well to copy the effect in Heroes.

It really depends on how much movement there is in the shot. Creativity will get you a lot further than complex FX with this.

Use as many 2D layers as possible and manipulate them to simulate a 3D environment.

Then add in what you need as real footage of the location that is rotating (but not moving).

Mix stills, FX, and some real live action plates for the most efficient method.
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2007, 09:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Try this

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorial.html?id=23

Jim
Jim Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2007, 09:27 PM   #4
Major Player

Trouble with that is that it doesn't move. Fairly easy with some layering. Certainly worth starting there, but to get movement into the shot, it'll get more involved, especially when shooting. That's definitely the most important part of such a shot. If shot well, the FX shouldn't be too impossible.
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes that little online tutorial is great and is the kind of technique i'm going to use in this upcoming video, but as daniel says there's no movement in this one. i'd be interested in seeing the tests your friend did daniel and how exactly he managed to achieve them.

best,

baldwin
Baldwin Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #6
Major Player

This was a while ago. I may ask him if I can post some links. I can't remember if he did put them on the web or not. He was just experimenting.
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion