DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Zeiss Cleaning Cloths (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/10432-zeiss-cleaning-cloths.html)

Christopher Go June 3rd, 2003 03:24 AM

Zeiss Cleaning Cloths

From what I understand you shouldn't clean camera equipment with the same products used to clean eyeglasses (I'll see this in photography books for example). This seems like a general rule. However I was wondering about products that apparently serve both purposes. For example, B&H Photo sells a Zeiss Cleaning Kit, which contains pre-moistened lens cloths. I purchased a few of these along with a lens cleaning pen a while back. Would you trust these lens cloths with your camera equipment? Click here for the Zeiss website on the cloths themselves.

Alex Taylor June 3rd, 2003 09:33 AM

I think I would trust anything made by Zeiss :)

Adrian Douglas June 3rd, 2003 11:05 AM

I woudl look around for a similar product somewhere else. It's highly likely that the cleaning cloths are not made by Zeiss but just lisenced by them and priced accordingly. You will probably find the same thing with XYZ brand name on it at half the price. Have a close look at the packaging, it probably says "Product of Mexico"!!

Christopher Go June 8th, 2003 05:59 AM

Did some quick research. Some eyeglass cleaners contain silicon, which is the reason why they should not be used with filters or camcorder lenses.

You're right, Adrian. Zeiss does not make these cleaning products but they are "especially formulated for Carl Zeiss Optical, Inc. by nanoFILM LTD Cleveland, OH" according to the packaging.

Here's the actual NanoFILM website with their cleaning products called Ultra Clarity. I think this is good stuff - its touted as one of the better cleaning materials. Trust Zeiss, I have to agree Alex.

Here's a random news article on the Zeiss and NanoFILM partnership.

Adrian Seah June 8th, 2003 06:48 AM

Constantly not having 'proper' cleaning cloths with me at the right time, I almost always just use an old worn out cotton t- shirt, works great, gentle on the glass too.

Andrew Petrie June 8th, 2003 08:04 AM

My pack includes:
2 fibreclothes
cleaning solution
cleaning paper
lens pen /w brush

I think I've got it covered! Nothing like a spec of dirt to ruin a great shot. Especially when it can't be reshot.

Vladimir Koifman June 8th, 2003 08:46 AM

Sorry for my ignorance, but why eyeglasses cleaners do not work for lens?
What's bad if they contain silicon?

Christopher Go June 8th, 2003 09:58 AM

Hello Vladimir. That was my original question too. Although I'm not 100% certain, apparently some eyeglass cleaners can harm camera lenses. I thought at first that this was simply a way for manufacturers to sell more products (still true to a degree I bet), but I'll see this written in photography books as well as on manufacturer websites. One photography book I saw this written in is "Photography, 7th Edition" edited by Barbara London, et. al. It simply states to avoid using eyeglass cleaners.

Of course Kodak recommends against doing so on this website along with this website under the Cleaning supplies section.

The silicon information I received from a cinematography book I borrowed from a friend. It also recommends against using eyeglass cleaners "because they may contain silicon." I'd still very much appreciate a better explanation just as much as you though, which is the reason why I started this thread.