Give me some reasons to switch to Mac - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 2nd, 2007, 01:06 AM   #16
Inner Circle

while there are no reasons not to switch to mac, there are a lot of reasons to stay with PC.
Then you should look at the problem this way and just make sure that after the switch you still can acces the huge quantities of free utilities that the PC offers. hardware and software on PC are moving/upgrading a lot faster than on Mac.
The community on products is bigger, so usually answers are easier to find.
Tons of codecs are easily manageable on PC, while Macs are pretty limited on this side.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:50 AM   #17
Major Player

I did actually switch to Mac and I'm more than satisfied. :)
Urban Skargren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:12 AM   #18
Major Player

I don't know why HDV renders much faster in my Mac with Final Cut Pro than with my similarly configured PC with Adobe Premiere Elements. (It was by a factor of 10)

I bought my macbook and the only thing I don't like is the fact that I can't upgrade it to a quad-core.

If I had it to do over again, I -probably- would have gone with Sony Vegas but even then I'm not sure of the speed difference; FCP can take advantage of 64-bit processing, Sony Vegas (on Windows XP) can't (and I professionally reviewed Windows Vista and declared it "unfit for any user.") There's also a bit of bad blood between me and Sony - I don't want to use any Sony products at all if I can help it.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:20 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyko View Post
I don't know why HDV renders much faster in my Mac with Final Cut Pro than with my similarly configured PC with Adobe Premiere Elements. (It was by a factor of 10).
Not really a fair comparison - Elements is a consumer level product. It might not support multiple cores and the HDV codec may be less optimized than those from other vendors etc. A more relevant comparison would be with iMovie. Or CS3 on both platforms.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 12:44 PM   #20
Major Player

you really need to choose your NLE of choice and let that determine your computing needs. For example, I ended up switching to a Mac during my second to last year of my undergrad program when I decided I wanted to get ahead and fell in love with editing- since we had FCS and G5's in the labs, I went ahead and purchased a 1st rev MBP and FCS. The towers were great at the time, but my MBP was actually faster! Thats completely different these days- with 8 core MacPro's leaving all the laptops in the dust. But I do have to say- I find I do my best work in coffee shops. I have no clue why, but sitting down with my Americano, my little g-drive mini and a macbook or macbook pro just can't be beat. When its closing time I pack up and quickly move to a new location to continue. When its time to color grade, I go home, turn off all the lights and connect to a calibrated cinema display. Final Cut is my favorite, but thats probably because I've only tinkered with Vegas, Avid and Premiere. But I know so many people who use them, and LOVE them, and most importantly, do their best work on them.

Having said that, if I were you I'd save a few more pennies and try to get an intel machine simply because it allows you to run OSX and Windows side by side, and ultimately this could allow you some important flexibility should you have an employer that is looking for someone who knows Avid (a lot of the world is Avid based it seems). I've used a macbook (non pro) for months before switching to the new MBP's, and using Nattress plugins and tricks, have managed to turn it into a solid workstation. I agree with Daniel- the 5400rpm hard drive and the firewire 400 can be slow, so be prepared to render a lot. If you are working in SD (not uncompressed) you wont even notice the difference till you start adding alot of layers.
Alan Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 06:37 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Skargren View Post
Hi,

I know this subject is well torn, but anyway...
I have until now mostly used PC, but now I have this opportunity to buy a used 2x2 GHz MAc G5 with two 250G hard discs from a friend I know have good hand with his hardware. He says it is good for HDV. And I happened to just get the whole Adobe Suite CS3 for Mac for a good price (I got the wrong package!).

Give me reasons to switch to Mac or if I should stay with PC. Reasons for PC is you save money, and I also teach PC stuff at my current school. I also already have a lot of earlier Premiere PC projects that I want to be able to reedit if needed. Is it possible to reedit PC-made Premiere timelines on Premiere for Mac? Aren't the avi:s different (Win/QT)?

I have used Mac quite a lot as video teacher also, and I think it was good except when you wanted to create Windows Media, but then we used Flip for Mac, a conversion program and solved it.

Some Mac evangelists here? Or are they all on the Mac forums?

I shoot and edit small documentaries, commercials and short films and want to pursue furhter into fiction films.
I know you have to do the decisionmaking yourself, but advice is never bad.
You don't necessarily have to choose between owning one or the other. It sounds like you could benefit from owning both, especially since you teach for both platforms.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 07:03 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Miller View Post
Not really a fair comparison - Elements is a consumer level product. It might not support multiple cores and the HDV codec may be less optimized than those from other vendors etc. A more relevant comparison would be with iMovie. Or CS3 on both platforms.
I've used CS3, but only on a dual core AMD system, not a dual-core Intel system.
Old March 4th, 2008, 06:33 AM   #23
Major Player

I'm pretty much a mac fanboi, with untold macs in the house and most of my family and friends have drunk the koolaid as well. To me its like a hotrod vs. luxury car comparison. If you want to drag race and enjoy tinkering under the hood on saturdays, then pcs make more sense. If you want a really comfortable seat, automatic transmission and (so far) bulletproof security system, then I say macs are the better option. In the past one platform over the other could do things the other couldnt. At this point, its more of a comparison of how comfortable you are as they do it.

If your ultimate question is "should i stick with pcs or buy a used g5" then absolutely I vote stick with pcs. You'll be far more likely to run into limitations with the g5, and frustrations that a newer machine wouldnt cause. If you already know and love macs, having a g5 around can be great, but in computer terms the g5 is an old jalopy now. A new core2 mac can boot into windows, or run windows virtualized at full speed... and its really fast with fcp and cs3. More and more intel only apps are coming out too.

For the price difference between a core2 mac and equivalent pc, , even a home built one, I think the versatility of having both platforms is worth every penny (if there is a price difference at all).. ) You might have a lot of money tied up in older software that makes you reluctant to change, but having parallels can eliminate that problem too, if you dont mind the weirdness of having two OS runningg.

It really comes down to preferences. Some people like easy and cheap engine upgrades and lots of 3rd party options like skull shaped side mirrors and neon rim lights. Those people look at mac users and feel superior because they saved money or are smart enough to work on their own machine. Some people like heated seats and that feeling of superiority over the uncivilized miscreants either too poor to afford the price of a mac, or so savage that they like to change their own oil on a carpet in their back yard. hehe.

Now... there is a totally different category if you have an IT guy on staff. Thats kinda like having a personal mechanic. If somebody else is driving you around and checking the fuel for viruses and searching down hand rubbed custom walnut knobs... then by all means buy whatever they want you to. The guys driving around in bentleys? They dont care about ANY of the above stuff. hehe.

cheers!
-a
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright View Post
It sounds like you could benefit from owning both, especially since you teach for both platforms.
Now I do, and I really benefit from both*. Your'e totally right. And I'm privileged.

*Although I enjoy the Mac experience more...
Urban Skargren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 11:59 AM   #25
Major Player

Chixxx dig Macs.
Old March 7th, 2008, 07:24 PM   #26
Major Player

ok, i should really check the dates on posts. doh!

So, who you gonna vote for in the upcoming nixon/ford election?
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #27
Inner Circle

I hate to admit it, but I'm old enough to remember that Nixon never ran against Ford.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion