Where to start now that the tapes are made? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 17th, 2007, 08:51 PM   #1
New Boot

Where to start now that the tapes are made?

Hello all!

I shot my brother in laws wedding this past weekend. We thought we'd give them a nice dvd set of their wedding as a gift. The only thing I'm haveing a hard time with is where to start?

I shot the wedding using 3 cameras. (one in the choir loft one next to the altar and one that I moved around with for closeups and such) I then shot the reception with just one camera. I also shot the rehersal and some candid stuff through out.

I can kind of see how I want it all to go together in the final product.

So what;s the easiest way to start this all out?

I was thinking about putting the footage from each camera into individual video tracks in my NLE, syncing them up then cutting and pasting to meet my wants. Make sence?

Any thoughts or pointers?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Lowell
Lowell Bernhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 05:53 AM   #2
Inner Circle

What's your NLE? The big ones can do multicam editing - doing it the way you describe will take for ever.
Old October 18th, 2007, 08:53 AM   #3
New Boot

I use Ulead Video Studio 11+.

This software to my knowledge does not have the multi cam ability. I'll check it out though.

Any other pointers?

Thanks!
Lowell
Old October 18th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #4
Trustee

VideoStudio 11+ is a consumer level editor and can't automatically do multi-camera editing. Using VS it's just trial and error until you get it synced up.
Old October 18th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #5
New Boot

Yes I know VS11 is a "consumer" grade product. I didn't have $500.00 to drop on something that will give me more performance. If I can get VS to do what I'm looking for then maybe someday when I'm a big time producer then I'll get the higher grade stuff.

So I guess for now I'll have to use trial and error.

Thanks
Lowell
Old October 18th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Do your project in sections.

First do the Rehearsal/rehearsal dinner edit, cutting and editing. Make it no more than a 10 minute run. You don't have to show every speech or comment. Use is more as an introduction of the couple and the other players. Music and slow motion is fun to work in.

Then edit a wedding prep portion, if you were there doing shooting during that process (bride getting ready, groom getting ready, etc wedding party, etc.) Some live sound, but also will add music for a mostly film memory type piece.

Third Will be a full edit of the wedding, usually running full ceremony. With your three cameras, hopefully you rolled continuously. On a multitrack editing system, you could then try to match up the video on three different lines, and cut from one to the other.
If you don't have that, then I would pick the one with the continuous roll, either alter or loft, and use that as your time line, then cut from other clips to overlay the shots you want to cut in. Don't know Ulead, so not sure how you would do that there.

Fourth is reception. Again, this more artsy, with the little events like toast, cake cutting, bouquet throw being highlighted, with some voice sound. I would pick a few songs for background, that fit the spirit of the wedding.

Final is leaving for the honeymoon.... as a close to the video.

Put this in chapters on your DVD.

You could do a second and/or third dvd with all footage just laid down with no edit, if they want that.
Old October 19th, 2007, 01:30 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowell Bernhardt View Post
Yes I know VS11 is a "consumer" grade product. I didn't have $500.00 to drop on something that will give me more performance. If I can get VS to do what I'm looking for then maybe someday when I'm a big time producer then I'll get the higher grade stuff.

So I guess for now I'll have to use trial and error.

Thanks
Lowell
Lowell I also use VS11+ and my clients are happy with my results. What makes someone a great videographer is not really the equipment as such, but his imagination and talent.

Stelios
Old October 19th, 2007, 01:36 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Do your project in sections.

First do the Rehearsal/rehearsal dinner edit, cutting and editing. Make it no more than a 10 minute run. You don't have to show every speech or comment. Use is more as an introduction of the couple and the other players. Music and slow motion is fun to work in.

Then edit a wedding prep portion, if you were there doing shooting during that process (bride getting ready, groom getting ready, etc wedding party, etc.) Some live sound, but also will add music for a mostly film memory type piece.

Third Will be a full edit of the wedding, usually running full ceremony. With your three cameras, hopefully you rolled continuously. On a multitrack editing system, you could then try to match up the video on three different lines, and cut from one to the other.
If you don't have that, then I would pick the one with the continuous roll, either alter or loft, and use that as your time line, then cut from other clips to overlay the shots you want to cut in. Don't know Ulead, so not sure how you would do that there.

Fourth is reception. Again, this more artsy, with the little events like toast, cake cutting, bouquet throw being highlighted, with some voice sound. I would pick a few songs for background, that fit the spirit of the wedding.

Final is leaving for the honeymoon.... as a close to the video.

Put this in chapters on your DVD.

You could do a second and/or third dvd with all footage just laid down with no edit, if they want that.
Chris that was an excellent advise!
So how long would this be? from the prep portion to the leaving for honeymoon.

Stelios
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:49 PM   #9
New Boot

That's kind of what I was thinking too. I figured we do one DVD of just the ceremony and then a few different DVD's that are more like slide shows.

Stelios,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Glad to here there are some out there who attempt the same as I'm going to using what I'm using.

Thanks all!
Lowell
Old October 23rd, 2007, 12:31 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I love VS

Hey Lowell, just a note here. I have been shooting wedding video's for 20 years and I still use VS. I have seen it all and tried every software around and I always come back to VS. Yes, it does have it's limits, but my bottom line is, my customers love their wedding DVD's. So why change a good thing.

Gary
LNR Productions
Gary Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 02:48 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Randall View Post
Hey Lowell, just a note here. I have been shooting wedding video's for 20 years and I still use VS. I have seen it all and tried every software around and I always come back to VS. Yes, it does have it's limits, but my bottom line is, my customers love their wedding DVD's. So why change a good thing.

Gary
LNR Productions
Yes me too Gary. VS is more than enough for most of Wedding Videos. Simplicity sometimes is best.

Stelios
Old October 24th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #12
Major Player

Just to jump in here...

Lowell,

I use Final Cut Express right now for my editing. It doesn't have multitrack editing either. Going with separate video tracks for each camera and lining them up is what I do on multi-cam shoots.

One thing that I have found that helps out tremendously to line up the different tracks is looking for a camera flash. If someone shot stills during the ceremony, use it to your advantage. The flash will only really appear on one frame, find it on each track and you're pretty well lined up. I've taken to carrying a cheap flash in my bag for multi-cam shoots (I don't do weddings, but conferences and speaking engagements). The best part about it is people are trained to ignore camera flashes. Nobody even looks up.

Hope this helps...

Kevin

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion