New comers at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 9th, 2003, 11:58 AM   #1
New Boot

New comers

Hi all .
I'm new comers ! I see these new groups are full of pros here !!! I have a fool question don't know can ask here or not . I am headache of choosing XL1S or PD150 . Can you give some suggestion ?
I use left eye more , I have XM1 and want to upgrade my gear to take wedding as business . I always thinks the image quailty of DVCAM (PD150's small tape) is better than XL1S's quality , is it ?

thx!

Billy
Billy Yeung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 12:11 PM   #2
High School Student

Welcome.

Digital8, MiniDV, DVCAM, DVCPRO, are all the SAME format, DV25, all capable of recording the same quality. The only differences is the cameras associated with them, and in DVCAM mode, the tape runs faster then in MiniDV mode. So you only get 40 minutes per tape instead of 60. The main advantage to this is that you have less chances of dropouts.

Since you have a XM1, i'd say the XL1s would be a better match then the PD150, but if you didn't have one, i'd go for the PD150 just in general, but it's upto you.
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 12:31 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

I agree with Alex, the XL1S or even the XM2 would be a better choice for you, as you're already into some Canon gear (batteries, etc. from XM1 will work with XM2). The XM2 is a substantial jump up from the XM1. Also, as Alex states, there is no difference in image quality between DV, DVCAM or even Digital 8 (only difference is in the camera systems themselves). Welcome aboard and hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 02:02 AM   #4
Major Player

Alex, you know allot for your age! Nice!

I agree with Alex and Chris.
Cosmin Rotaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 06:58 AM   #5
New Boot

oh thx all of you !

But depends on reliability , which is better ? since here I have some friends with XL1S and some with PD150 , both have some little problem by using for about 1-2 years , and the maintanance fees of Sony is far away greater ! for example : a general check of the cam . Sony new US$130 but Canon only need US$25 !!!!

regards,
Billy
Billy Yeung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion