24pn at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 29th, 2007, 09:34 AM   #1
Major Player

24pn

I have a minidv taped that I captured using the DVX100b
in 24pn mode can I dump this tape using my sony Vx2100 to get the 24p look that I want?
Dante Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 09:38 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Yes... 24p footage usually has pulldown added to it (either normal 3:2 pulldown or advanced pulldown)... this lets you dump the footage onto miniDV (and other 60i formats).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 09:40 AM   #3
Major Player

OHHHH so by choosing 24p advanced It does the pull down right away... So I don't need the camera?
Dante Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 10:59 AM   #4
Inner Circle

1- There are two different forms of pulldown.

Normal pulldown. The cadence is referred to as 3:2 (or 2:3).

Advanced pulldown. The cadence is referred to as 2:3:3:2. Not all applications can remove this form of pulldown (particularly with high-end systems)!!! There is a small technical advantage in quality (compared to normal pulldown) if you need to remove pulldown / get at true 24p images because of the way DV compression works.

2- The 24p signal is converted to a 60i signal (via pulldown, either form) and is recorded onto the tape in that form. Equipment can handle 60i signals, and will play back the 60i signal fine.

Your DVX will also record pulldown flags onto the footage, and these flags are carried over firewire (but not SDI). I believe other cameras won't strip out those flags. You need these flags for your NLE to automatically detect the pulldown cadence so that it can remove it. Otherwise you can manually remove (normal) pulldown... you need to guess what the cadence is and check by eye. That's not that hard.

But remember some applications cannot remove advanced pulldown. So if you go to a professional online editing facility, their system may or may not be able to deal with advanced pulldown. Talk to them beforehand.

2b- You don't need to remove pulldown / convert footage back to 24p. You can edit the footage as if it were normal 60i material.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion