Movie equipment - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 11th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #31
Major Player

I was thinking about ordering the two ILM books. They are in my shopping cart now but im looking for something that covers Hollywood miniature set work if possible.

Something that covers things like this:
http://www.hatchfx.com/matte-paintin..._miniature.jpg

I have been building little models like this for years, but how do I get a model to look like the real thing on camera? Is there such a book or preferably a video that covers these sorts of things? Perhaps the two ILM books contain this information?

I ask because, as some may remember, my goal is to make a film for a Native American site in Southern Indiana called Angel Mounds. At the peek of its inhabitance there were some 200 homes enclosed by a mile long wall, which all encircled a large central mound. Today, all that is visually prevalent is the degraded central mound. It is my hope to rebuild the city using miniature set building, green screening and matte painting techniques. Now I know I cannot simply read a few books and become a pro over night. What I am trying to accomplish is an in depth understanding of the art so that I am better in tune with the people that will be doing this work and then eventually be able to do it myself.

Last edited by Terry Lee; November 12th, 2007 at 12:07 AM.
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #32
Major Player

For some reason that link isn't working...sorry :(
Old November 12th, 2007, 05:31 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Unfortunately, I can't think of any books that just cover the actual model making for films. Quite a few cover the techniques for shooting models and discuss aspects of the subject, including scale, depth of field, slow motion to give scale etc.

Magazines like Cinefex go into quite a lot of detail on filming effects on the latest films (plus an archive of back issues that can be purchased), but you do need to be pretty up to speed to follow the articles, since it's aimed at professionals.

http://www.cinefex.com/

These do show the models being constructed and model makers discuss their methods. I notice you can get B & W photocopies of the early Star Wars issues.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 03:18 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
Quite a few cover the techniques for shooting models and discuss aspects of the subject, including scale, depth of field, slow motion to give scale etc.
Yes! you see the model building I already have, its the ability to make a model house look full scale that I need. Which books are you refering to?
Old November 12th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Lee View Post
Yes! you see the model building I already have, its the ability to make a model house look full scale that I need. Which books are you refering to?
"The Technique of Special Effects Cinematography" has a couple of chapters on shooting miniatures plus a chapter on glass shots. It's an older book with a lot on optical printers and shooting effects on film, but it's very much about how to do things and quite a lot does apply when shooting on video.

You might be able to get a used copy on Amazon, rather than buying new.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #36
Major Player

Is this what you are refering to?

http://www.amazon.com/Techniques-Spe...4912373&sr=8-1
Old November 13th, 2007, 04:30 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Lee View Post
Yes, that's the book.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion