Switch Sony to Panasonic, that is the question. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 6th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #1
New Boot

Switch Sony to Panasonic, that is the question.

I have a Sony PD-150 that the settings dial has broken the EXACT day the warranty was over. The same thing happened to the VX 2000. The VX 2000 is a great take anywhere camera except there are no XLR inputs.

I do mostly events to make a little money and would LOVE to do some shorts for fun.

I have used Adobe CS2 w/Matrox RTX100 and purchased CS3 which is useless because it won’t run. The company that built my editing system is out of Atlanta and specializes in Adobe but

I have NEVER had Adobe/Matrox work good for years and that has kept me in bondage to the mercy of my NLE.

It's time for change and so far I feel I want to switch to Sony Vegas and switch to the Panasonic DVX 100 A, B or whatever letter. As you can tell I am not technically savvy but video is my passion.

Would someone please guide me as what set up I should get or if they can suggest a VERY GOOD, REPUTABLE Video Production company I can contact for help and to get my system done correct.

Thank you, Melissa 
Melissa Kapetanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hello Melissa, welcome to DVINFO!

Since you have owned a PD-150 and VX2000, I think you'd be happy with a PD-170. I believe it had several design improvements and image quality enhancements (lower light sensitivity) than its predecessor. The PD-170 is pretty much the undisputed champ of low light event video for cameras in its class.

After you've been with us for a month or so, you'll have access to our user classifieds where several good bargains on used equipment can be had.

Hopefully you'll be part of our community for a long time.

regards,

Greg Boston
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #3
Trustee

If you are spending the money for both a new computer and new camera, you are a good candidate for HDV. The switch is more difficult if your computer is slow and would require a big investment, but if you are putting out the money anyway it won't cost much more to get HD.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #4
New Boot

Call me crazy but I tried Sony Vegas and so far love it. It will take a little getting used to but it seems like a basic Pinnacle home edition. I feel like I am cheating. I do not have the Pro 8 but I am seriously considering it.

I forgot about the PD-170 and the low-light advantage. That is such a NICE asset. I am a little Sony shy due to both dials breaking at an early age but as for the VX2000 I have to admit it has been my favorite because of its ease of carrying in a hand back.

It has been with me numerous times to Central America and up in the mountains below freezing temperatures.

It froze up on me once but some TLC hugging and some warm blankies fixed it right up. I just wish that it wasn’t so expensive to get both fixed but it limits me to only use them on automatic and that is no fun.

I hate to read the DV magazines because they make you think that everything you have is obsolete. I am afraid that the PD-170 will become the VHS camcorder of the near years to come.

I have tried to read up on the different camera reviews and they all sound good. It seems unanimous that if you want a clean sharp image with film look you need a HD /24p camera. Is that true? If so what is a good one for the money?

Is there a good website with accurate non-biased reviews on video equipment? As of digital still cameras I like http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
I have found Steve to be pretty accurate about his camera reviews.

Thanks MK :)
Melissa Kapetanos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion