DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Shooting 35mm essentials? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/107634-shooting-35mm-essentials.html)

Rafael Lopes November 10th, 2007 09:31 AM

Shooting 35mm essentials?

Ok, so I just bought a 35mm camera (konvas m2) and I would like some advice on additional stuff I will need to make the best out of this. It already comes with an 18mm, a 35mm, a 50mm and a 75mm...so I´m set for lenses. I have never shot 35mm so I would like to obtain some more info on the subject...specially with such a "delicate" camera as the konvas. I will probably need some portable power source and stuff like that. I would also like some suggestions on good places to buy and develop film. Any other information will be appreciated.

I have seen some stuff shot on KODAK VISION 5279 500T that looked awesome. If possible, for cost reasons I would like to buy film that can handle well both low light and strong light conditions....I´ve read good things about the KODAK VISION 5274 200T on this capacity

cheers,

Rafa

Brian Drysdale November 10th, 2007 10:59 AM

You're going to need batteries for your camera, Ni Cads are pretty standard.

You can buy stock from Kodak, or rental house like Panavision or a lab, you might have to open an account with Kodak. However, if you're a student, you can get a discount from Kodak. The 200T is a good stock for both shooting interiors and exteriors.

You'll have to check your national film industry directory for motion picture labs. There's here: http://www.technicolor.com/Cultures/...ionTranslation

I know a few labs in England, but I've heard some good prices from labs in Germany.

You should also check out Fuji stock, it tends to be cheaper than Kodak and give it great pictures as well

David Mullen November 10th, 2007 11:09 PM

You'll need some ND (Neutral Density) filters for shooting in bright sunlight, even with a medium-speed stock like 200T or 250D.

To give you an example of why you need ND filters, in direct sunlight on 50 ASA film at 24 fps with a 180 degree shutter, your exposure is around an f/16. So imagine the problems if the stock is two or three stops faster than 50 ASA, especially if you ideally want to be shooting at f/5.6 or more wide-open. You need ND filters, and perhaps a 85B color-correction filter for converting 3300K (daylight) to 3200K (tungsten) for using tungsten-balanced stocks like 200T outdoors in daylight.

Carrying a filter set with ND.30 (one-stop), ND.60 (two-stops), ND.90 (three-stops) and ND1.2 (four-stops) is common.

Rafael Lopes November 11th, 2007 07:28 AM

Thanks, guys. So, so far I need a mattebox with nd filters and a portable battery to power the camera. Anything else?

Sorry for the ignorance but will the same mattebox fit the Konvas AND the Canon Xh-A1?

Oh, and correct me if I´m wrong but one 35mm reel lasts like 15min, right?

Steve House November 11th, 2007 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes (Post 773592)
Thanks, guys. So, so far I need a mattebox with nd filters and a portable battery to power the camera. Anything else?

Sorry for the ignorance but will the same mattebox fit the Konvas AND the Canon Xh-A1?

That depends. Release prints are divided into reels for projection and a reel typically runs 20 min but that's not the same thing as a camera magazine load. 35mm film runs at 1.5 feet (457mm) per second. That means a typical 400 foot magazine will hold about 4 minutes worth of film.

At typical shooting ratios, let's hope you have some very deep pockets. You're gonna need 'em!

Brian Drysdale November 11th, 2007 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes (Post 773592)

The Konvas takes 60 meter loads (less than 200ft), although there is also a 120 meter (400ft) magazine. At 24 fps these last approx 2 mins and 4 mins 27 sec respectively - a long way from 15 mins!

You'll need a light meter for the exposure and a changing bag to load the magazines. A follow focus would be useful, but you might need to fit gears onto your lenses.

Remember the colour correction filters that David mentioned. I hope you've got an instruction manual for the camera.

Assuming you're got lightweight support bars fitted to both cameras, a 4" x 4" matte box can be used on both cameras. Chances are you'll also need a much heavier tripod than you've been using with the Canon.

I should add if you're just starting to shoot film, 16mm would be a lot cheaper than 35mm.

There's a 35mm Russian film camera forum on Cinematography.com, which might prove helpful to you.

David W. Jones November 11th, 2007 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes (Post 773240)
Ok, I have never shot 35mm so I would like to obtain some more info on the subject...specially with such a "delicate" camera as the konvas. I will probably need some portable power source and stuff like that.
Rafa

Having shot with the M2, I would not classify the camera as "Delicate", but more in line with build like a tank!
Not to mention as loud as a Russian Tank as well. This is an MOS only camera!
You did not mention if the camera came with a motor.
If not you will also need one like the 19EP-16APK or 17EP-16APK,
as well as batteries and a charger compatible with your power requirements.
With the M2, your films aspect ratio will be determined by which gate is installed in the camera, and you will want to check the Mag mount as they can get sloppy and ruin reel after reel of film.
You will also more than likely need to get a couple of Kodak core adapters for each of your mags.

Good Luck!