24fps at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 10th, 2007, 10:30 PM   #1
Trustee

24fps

Hi
Where is 24fps used and is it important to have on a camera? Does my FX7 have this feature? Bare in mind that my camera is PAL standard.

Stelios
Old November 10th, 2007, 10:57 PM   #2
American Society of Cinematographers

24P is used when you want the look of 24 fps film in terms of motion rendition -- or if you are in Europe, then 25P would do the same thing. 24P or 25P would also be easier to transfer to film.

Your camera only shoots 50i, which can be converted to 25P if necessary in post for a film-out, though you'd still have interlaced-scan artifacts unless you applied some special processing to fake a 25P look.

Movement in 50i photography looks smoother, more immediate, more "live" or "raw" (more like classic video) compared to 25P, which has that strobier, more stacatto, jerkier, shot-in-the-past feeling of film due to the lower motion sampling rate.

There are post processes that can be applied to 50i footage to make it seem more like 25P for a film look effect, though you'd be better off probably with a true 25P camera like the Sony HVR-V1E.

Bear in mind that I am only talking about motion rendition. There are many other factors that come into play in making video footage more like a professional movie in feeling, some of it technical and some of it artistic.

Also, you may not need that 25P look, especially if you are shooting non-narrative fiction work like documentaries, news, event coverage, etc.
Old November 11th, 2007, 11:09 AM   #3
Trustee

David,
It's an honor for me to get a reply from from such a distinguish member here. Thank you for your informative answer. 50i then for my type of work is fine.

Stelios

Last edited by Stelios Christofides; November 11th, 2007 at 11:48 AM.
Stelios Christofides is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion