Foggy morning framegrabs. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 14th, 2003, 06:51 AM   #1
High School Student

Foggy morning framegrabs.

It was pretty foggy around 5-6AM, and it was nice out, but a little wet, so I decided to go for a walk and I took my panasonic DV52 with me, just to see if I could get some cool stills from the framegrabs.

(Oh yeah, don't ask me why I had slippers on? heh)

Not too shabby for a $400 camcorder:

http://www.freewebs.com/harshmanner/crap/index2.htm

UPDATE -- Here's some more video framegrabs that I did at sunset, mostly cats and crap, because thats all thats around my backyard and stuff.

http://www.freewebs.com/alexknappenberger/index.htm
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2003, 07:18 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Why did you have slippers on, Alex?
Old June 14th, 2003, 09:06 AM   #3
Wrangler

Alex, a couple of nice pics there. Very nice in fact.

Remember the rule of 3's while framing though.
Old June 14th, 2003, 10:16 AM   #4
Wrangler

I've heard it called the rule of thirds. The idea is to draw an imaginary tic-tac-toe board that takes up the entire width and height of your frame, and line up important features along the lines and intersections. Ostensibly, this aesthetic dictum is to stave off the monotony of framing everything dead center.

It's useful for head shots and interviews. When it comes to artistic photography, it's a rule made to be broken.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2003, 05:06 PM   #5
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Robert Knecht Schmidt :

It's useful for head shots and interviews. When it comes to artistic photography, it's a rule made to be broken. -->>>

(shhhh... don't tell him that until he's learned it first)

And yes it's the rule of Thirds, unless you are typing sloppy in a real hurry, then it's just 3's. :) Thanks for clearing it up for me though.

Alex, learn if first. Try and make all your shots using this rule, then compare the improvement of the quality of your stuff. Then you can start breaking it and you'll have a better point of referencee as to what of your stuff works and what doesn't.

The mind subconciously seems to line things up naturally to the Rule of Thirds. Most of your pictures follow it already. In the first pics, you're eyes (assuming thats you) are lined up along an invisible horizontal line that runs across the top 1/3rd of the picture. Very easy to look at. Your landscape picture #16 and #15-2 don't follow this rule, and the horizon splits the frame in 1/2. If you had the horizon running along the top 1/3rd as you do in #13 and #14, or the bottom 1/3rd it would look more natural. For diagonal lines, you can run diagonal lines throug the intersect points the tic-tac-toe grid makes and line stuff up from there.

Now, I'm only being picky because I think these are easily the best photos you have submitted so far. If I didn't like them, I wouldn't say anything at all. The previous stuff you've put up has been OK, but mostly so-so stuff in terms of the photographic element (no offense). Some of these pics show potential. I think you should leave Photoshop alone for a while and concentrate on what goes into the camera. It looks like you might have some talent behind a lens.
Old June 14th, 2003, 05:33 PM   #6
High School Student

Thanks for clearing that up and stuff, I know exactly what you guys are saying now. You haven't seen any of my videos, have you? I don't really want to post the links to the ones I have on the internet already, because they are pretty stupid, but people seem to like them. Actually the first video I made (it was really stupid) called "extreme animal hunt" got under the "highest rated clips" on singlereel.com like 2 months ago. The next video I make, I'll post for sure, it will have a electric scooter and someone getting shot in it.....heh.
Old June 14th, 2003, 06:06 PM   #7
Regular Crew

they're flipflops....

Trey Perrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2003, 07:10 PM   #8
High School Student

Well, they technically aren't flipflops, because they dont go inbetween your toes. I guess you could call them sandles without a back portion, they just slip on. They are good for keeping by the door when you want to go outside to do some crap and don't feel like putting on your shoes. We used to have like 3 pairs of them, but one of my retarded cats chewed the other 2 up, completely to nothing, and the pair I still have are badly chewed up too. Stupid cat.
Old June 14th, 2003, 07:24 PM   #9
Regular Crew

all the same...some phat shotz by the way

Trey Perrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2003, 07:38 PM   #10
Major Player

What the HELL is a flip flop?????

Are you talking about the Australian beach shoes, thongs?

Zac
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2003, 07:53 PM   #11
Major Player

Ha ha. I guess some words are not universal! A flip flop is a rubber soled sandel with a piece of rubber (usually rubber) that goes over the toes and between the big toe and second toe. When you walk, the back of the sole comes up and smacks you in the heel, hence the name "Flip-Flop".

We had a man (from NJ) who came to work in our office (in NC) a few years ago. We were talking about buying and selling tobaggons (with our logo) so people could keep their heads warm. He looked at us like were crazy and asked why would a sled keep someone warm?

Down south, a tobaggon is something you wear on your head, while up north it is a snow sled you ride.

I guess we don't need to get into beach music dances (shagging) do we? Oh the wonderful world of language!

Oh, by the way - nice pics, Alex and ditto on the thirds thing! I liked the one with the red light in the background and the red "thing" in the foreground.
Old June 14th, 2003, 08:13 PM   #12
Major Player

yeah i finally got it,

What australians have been wearing for about 100 years to go to the beach, americans took and named underwear after them, then named the actual shoe after the sound... too strange

Whats next grey spelled like gray?

Zac
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2003, 08:16 PM   #13
Major Player

Absolutely! However, I can probably name some things I'm glad we DIDN'T name after the sound they make! ;D
Old June 14th, 2003, 08:28 PM   #14
High School Student

Not tooting my own horn, but I am having a hard time believing this is a DV framegrab, even though I took it, escpecially from just a $350 DV camera:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/212104/cat4.jpg

I did some more vertical framegrabs, i'll upload them soon. They are framed better. :D I enjoy doing video, but doing stills like that is pretty cool too, and you don't need lots of resources to do it. I'd buy a digital camera but then I couldn't take 30 pictures a second and select the best one. I'm honestly not too good with still cameras, my timing is off big time.

Here's another better exposed one:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/212104/cat6.jpg

Yet another:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/212104/cat7.jpg
Old June 14th, 2003, 09:24 PM   #15
High School Student

Here's some more video framegrabs that I did at sunset, mostly cats and crap, because thats all thats around my backyard and stuff.

http://www.freewebs.com/alexknappenberger/index.htm
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion