Buy Now, or wait for New Releases? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 30th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Buy Now, or wait for New Releases?

Hi, I do video as a side business and I'm looking to buy a new camcorder. I currently have a (don't laugh) Sony DCR-HC28. So far I've mainly done editing, but I have a video job coming up mid-December that I will need a better cam for.

What I need:
Good video quality with acceptable low light. Needs to be either 3CCD or a well-performing single.

Price range: $500-$2500 (the lower, the better, obviously- I'm on a tight budget)

Some comcorders I've considered:

HVR-A1U
Good: XLR audio!
Bad: Single CMOS chip w/ poor low light

HVR-HD1000U
Good: Shoulder mount, nice focus ring, not too expensive ($1600 at B&H)
Bad: Not yet released, no XLR (could use a beachtek-like device), single CMOS chip

HVR-Z7U / HVR-S270U
Good: Any comments?
Bad: Not yet released

I would mention the XH A1 and the HVX-2000, but both are too expensive.

Finally, back to the original subject- are the new releases from Sony worth waiting for? Will they be released in time for me to get my hands on one by December 15th? Also, does anybody know a ballpark price for the HVR-Z7U/HVR-S270U?

THANKS!!
Kevin Dressner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Dressner View Post
HVR-Z7U / HVR-S270U
Good: Any comments?
Bad: Not yet released

I would mention the XH A1 and the HVX-2000, but both are too expensive.
The Z7U has a suggested price of $6,850 and the S270U is $10,500. Why would you consider them but rule out the XH A1 which costs about $3,000?

see: http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_ro...ase/32117.html
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 06:04 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Does the camera have to be HD? If SD is acceptable, good 3 chip cameras can be found used for well under $2000 (some under $1000). I still think one of the best values in used 3 chip cameras is often the JVC GY-DV300U.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #4
Regular Crew

HD, or not HD; that is the question

I didn't rule out those cams because I didn't know the prices, as I mentioned at the end of the post by asking if anyone knew.

I'll take a look at the JVC. I would like to go HD, so I don't have to buy another camcorder later, but if it's an amazing camcorder at a good price I might consider it. Some examples of SD cams I might consider would be the AG-DVX100B and the XL1/XL1S (with MA100 XLR adapter), but yet again they're a little more expensive than I'd like them to be.

Can anyone recommend a used camcorder vendor, other than B & H? Not that I have a problem with them, I'm just looking for more options.

Thanks!
Old November 30th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew

the JVC

I looked at the JVC. It's nice that it's 3CCD, but the CCDs are small. (still better than single, I assume) It's very difficult to find reviews for this camcorder since it is discontinued. And I haven't found anyone who sells it new.
Old November 30th, 2007, 10:37 PM   #6
Regular Crew

or barely anyone selling it used, for that matter. Even eBay only turned up 2 results, both with the viewfinder and mic ripped out.
Old December 1st, 2007, 06:22 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Once you've been a DVinfo member for ~30 days and have made a few posts (not sure what the minimum cutoff is), you'll have access to the classified section here. Sony VX2100s, Canon GL2s, etc. are frequently available for sale in the $1200-$1500 range and might be suitable for your purposes.

What are you planning to use the camera for?

-Terence
Terence Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 06:54 AM   #8
Regular Crew

A good and cheap SD camera with 3 ccd : Panasonic GS500

A good HDV/DV cam: Sony FX7
Old December 1st, 2007, 10:29 AM   #9
Regular Crew

My uses for the Cam

I'm looking to use this camcorder for a number of things. I'm in high school right now, but I'm considering doing some form of video/production as a career. I may be able to do an internship with a local TV station.

Currently, I film events for my church and schools in my area. I recently got a repeat job to film an orchestra concert, and I think it's about time I get a better camcorder.

XLR audio is really important. If necessary, I'll buy a mini stereo to XLR adapter. (such as a Beachtek device)

I would prefer HD, but I'm not opposed to SD if that means I get a much better camcorder for my money. (think VX2000, XL1S, AG-DVX100B)

I've thought about getting something like an FX1 and an XLR adapter for it, but I've seen mixed reviews for that camcorder.

I'll definitely take a look at the classified thread, thanks for the tip.
Old December 1st, 2007, 10:31 AM   #10
Regular Crew

FX7, not FX1

Typo, sorry.
Old December 1st, 2007, 05:14 PM   #11
Major Player

There are mixed reviews for every camcorder. And it is never the perfect time to buy a camera.

At the prosumer end of things, what makes one video stand out from another is usually the audio. So whatever camera you get make sure you can accessorize it with some pro audio stuff (xlr adapter, headphones, shotgun mic, lapel mic, lights etc...)

Since you're still in high school, I wouldn't go with anything bigger than the Cannon HV20.

Last edited by Theodore McNeil; December 1st, 2007 at 05:37 PM. Reason: grammer
Theodore McNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 07:19 PM   #12
Regular Crew

My concern with the HV20 would be the low light. I'm hoping the HVR-HD1000U comes out soon. If it is what I hope it could be, then that may be a good option.

The HV20 and the HD1000U are both single CMOS cams, though. I hope that the HD1000U has gain control and other things that will increase the low light usability.

I sure wish I could access the classified ads for this forum.
Old December 1st, 2007, 08:54 PM   #13
Major Player

If I remember right, the HD1000U is a dressed-up small camera, an HDR-HC7 in a shouldermount body, or something along those lines. I don't follow the consumer level cameras that closely, so I might be getting model numbers confused. But there is a camera out there that looks deceivingly pro, but is just a little bitty camera in a big camera's clothes, recently released by Sony. :)
Carl Middleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 01:34 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I've heard that too. But it may have some manual controls that the HC7 didn't- since it isn't released, nobody knows how well designed the manual control system is.

I've thought about the HVR-A1U, and one reason I like the HD1000U would be because it is a similar cam for about $400 less ($1600 at B&H, compared to about 2 grand), and the shoulder-mount aspect doesn't hurt. I would have to buy an XLR adapter for the HD1000U, though.

Hurry up, Sony! ;)
Kevin Dressner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion