Better to underexpose or overexpose? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 15th, 2007, 12:12 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
to rely on what you see in the viewfinder is a fool's errand. the viewfinder has brightness and contrast controls that completely negate any accurate representation of the real image lighting.
The brightness and contrast levels don't make that much of a difirence, you can still tell when its blasting out, set them to where your happy and leave them there.

Far too many people on this site are so caught up in trying to sound like they know whats best for everyone else like they're better than the rest of us, while your setting up your waveform and reading your light meter i'll be three set ups ahead of you and i guarantee the exposure will look evey bit as good.

i was merely saying how i do things not what everyone else should do but you have to drag this thread through the mud and start name calling....grow up.

Dave i never said your a fool for using a light meter i just said i personally think they're pointless when shooting digital.

Andy.

Last edited by Andy Graham; December 15th, 2007 at 12:52 PM.
Andy Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 12:57 PM   #32
Major Player

I have shot digital stills professionally 6 years now (after 20+ years of film), and never have needed a light meter since. Histograms have taken their place. Even when shooting with studio flash I just make an educated quess, shoot a test and adjust once or twice with histograms. Goodbye nasty, dirty polaroids...

Anybody want to buy a Minolta Multimeter MkIV with spot attachement?

Video: electric viewfinder itself is grossly unreliable, as it's adjustement can be way off. Zebra feature is the savior, set the zebra to 100%, let the highest highlights just touch the zebra and you are just about perfect, shadows have to look for themselves. When I shoot heads, fairly evenly lit (classic 3 point lighting), I set zebras to 80% and skin highlights just touching the 80% mark. That's it. Perfecto.
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion