Mini DV playback into a computer for editing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 14th, 2007, 07:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Mini DV playback into a computer for editing

I am concerned that the reuse of my mini DV camcorder to playback into my computer for editing is putting too much time on the heads of the camera. I thought of just buying a cheap mini dv camcorder to use as playback, but I am concerned that the quality(video and audio - Church services) won't be as good as the original.

Has anyone got an idea to do this at a reasonable price? When I look at the mini dv players, they are in the $1500-3000 range.

Thanks for any ideas.

Chris Barnes
Chris Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 07:48 AM   #2
Trustee

Chris,
I can assure that there will be NO loss in video or audio. The tape information consist of only digital data information (1 and 0). As long as the original recording was ok without any dropouts etc. you'll be fine!
Old December 14th, 2007, 08:22 AM   #3
Major Player

The "quality" of the deck used for transfering the data to PC does not matter, as long as it works, it is digital copying, not a record player or similar analog thing. As long as the heads are clean and there are no dropouts all decks and cams are equal in quality (perfect, actually, what comes to reading tapes...).

I am not all that concerned about usring the same cam for transfers (capturing some people like to call it), the heads last for several thousands of hours, I think you'll move on to the next generation of cameras before the present one wears out. Besides head replacement is cheaper than a cheap cam.
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 09:23 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thank you for your assurance. My camera is not that great of a camera (Panasonic DV-60), but it was a considerable amount to me and I don't want to be in a maintenance mode very often.

Thanks again,

Chris
Chris Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Confusing

I Googled for Panasonic DV-60, it looks like it's not a camcorder but a tape model. What exactly is the camera you're trying to protect? Unless it's something in excess of a couple thousand dollars, it's not worth the investment. Think about the dangers you're exposing your tape to when running it in a cheap tape transport mechanism.

I work with a few Sony Z1Us and never even considered buying an additional camera for transfers - both transport mechanisms and video heads last thousands of hours nowadays. If you work mostly in a church environment (like I am), consider using a laptop and capturing directly to hard drive without even using tape at all.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion