Looking at Hi-8 camera and not sure if I found a good deal at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 28th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #1
Tourist

Looking at Hi-8 camera and not sure if I found a good deal

I know long title but I wanted to get everyones attention!!! Ok, I've introduced myself in the neighborhood forum...And couldn't find any other place to post this so I decided to come here.

I found 2 camera for sell. The guy the currently owns them bought them when he purchaced a room lot that was for auction. Basically he paid 1 sum of money for the rooms contents. Anyway, he has a Canon L1 and L2 with tons of extras I think...I know both come with Aluminum Cases, Shotgun mics, I think a couple extra lenes....But...Are they worth buying? I checked on ebay and the ones listed for parts are going for close to 200. The ones with accessories are going for 800 to 1300. I can get both these camera for under a grand. I was thinking of selling the L1 to pay for my purchase or even keep it so I have a spare or another camera angle.

I'm wanting to get into short film, weddings, documentaries....Would these camera work for that?

Thanks,
Scott
Scott J. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 01:28 PM   #2
Inner Circle

the L series are very very old cameras and frankly a friend of mine finally just threw his away. (it was broken).
If you're looking to spend very little money perhaps a GL1 or GL2 or a Sony PD 150. I would really stay away from the 2 you mentioned, but that's just me.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #3
Wrangler

A good deal on those cameras would be $50.

They are almost 17 years old, and in technology years, that's a millennium.

Do not buy.
Old December 28th, 2007, 02:34 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Can't recommend it. Agree with others, do not buy.

The L1 and L2 are very old Hi-8 camcorders. Back in their day they were great, but those days are long gone. All Hi-8 camcorders from that era will suffer from leaking capacitors sooner or later (resulting in a dead camera) and the cost to repair will far exceed their value.

The suggestion to spend your money on a current model such as a GL2 is excellent advice.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #5
Major Player

I bought an L1 way back when. Right after the warranty was up, the view finder died. I bit the bullet and had it repaired but sold it right away. After what seemed like a pretty short time frame, I heard it had died again. I later talked to someone who also had one who had died way too soon. I would be surprised if those 2 even worked. Spend your money somewhere else.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion