Laying Down Black on future target tapes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 22nd, 2003, 10:20 AM   #1
New Boot

Laying Down Black on future target tapes

It seems like I have asked about the necessity of laying down black on blank vhs tapes before copying to them. I tried looking for my old post in this section of the Community, but didn't find it. Maybe I left the post in the GL2 Community. In my quest for knowledge on the subject, I wanted to take the question one more step and ask if the following type of item, that I have seen for sale at about $300.00 is what would really"fix my clock"?: I have seen black burst generators for sale. When we talk about leaving your lense cap on and recording "black" to the target blank tape, aren't we talking about black burst, so it would seem that such a generator (some kind of a box with outputs) would be just what I needed. If so, I wouldn't have to use my good GL2 or my old Hi8. Now that I have bought the latest Matrox editing program that came with Premiere 6.5, I see that each one talks about laying down black on the target tape when going to DV tape.
Barrie M. Yacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2003, 04:44 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I feel the same way. If you have to "black" your tapes before use, and only have one cam, then that cam is gonna get twice as much wear and tear, and half the tape mechanism life...
Old June 23rd, 2003, 04:59 AM   #3
Major Player

If you purchase a cheap cam for capture, as was suggested on another thread, you could also use it to set the timecode.
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2003, 11:12 AM   #4
Wrangler

In general, laying 'black' on a VHS tape is only necessary if you are going to do 'Insert' editing. Not many DV editing programs I know of even offer this. Insert editing allows one to insert either audio or video in the middle of an already recorded tape without interrupting the clock track.

It only works, BTW, if your VHS deck has an insert mode. Most don't because it requires some elaborate electronics and/or a flying erase head. Hi-8 and most production record VTRs offer Insert capabilities.

Your editing system is very likely going to overwrite anything already on your VHS tape so 'blackening' the tape is a waste of time and totally unecessary.
Old June 23rd, 2003, 12:19 PM   #5
Inner Circle

another reason to black your tapes is some camcorders reset their timecode when they are tuned off/then on and see blank tape. Reset timecode can cause problems if you a logging your shots.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion