Misc. Open DV from 2008 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 14th, 2008, 08:20 PM   #16
New Boot

Indiana Jones 4 trailer Hiding Something?

Read the description, and watch the clip in HD...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3WS-dl7zX4

HD Trailer...

www.indianajones.com

UPDATE:

It's guns... Kind of funny

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/3...ipants1la6.jpg

Last edited by Grant Carden; February 14th, 2008 at 11:49 PM.
Grant Carden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 03:12 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Northern England

I was wondering if there was any interest from anyone in Northern England for Digital filmmaking. I was planning on getting a group together soon to film a short so anyone around the area with any spark of interest I would appreciate hearing from. Plus i'd also love to hear from anybody doing any indie digital video projects themselves in the North, and if you needed an extra hand i'd be glad to help out to get involved.

Thanks

If this is more appropriate for another forum topic could admins plz move thread for me thanks.
Gary Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 01:53 AM   #18
Major Player

is 23.976 ready for 35mm film? or need it be 24

23.976fps or 24 going to film
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 06:45 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Should I join a professional association?

Hi there,

I am considering joining a professional UK videography association or institute. It seems that the two main contenders for the UK are The Institute of Videography (www.iov.co.uk) and The Association of Professional Videomakers (www.apv.org.uk).

Does anybody have any experience with either of these? Are they worth joining and have customers been interested/asked about memberships?

I do a small amount of commercial work mainly for the web. No weddings or events.

Thanks
Alex Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 08:57 AM   #20
New Boot

Cheap MiniDv with Manual controls

Hi there
I'm doing workshops with youngsters and need cheap MiniDV cam with the best possible manual controls. Mic in and Headphone monitoring are a must. Any Recommendations
Thanks.
Mark Dimond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #21
Major Player

Magic Arm Repair...

Does anyone know where I can find ANY information on how to repair a magic arm?

I picked up a box of magic arms from an auction, and some of them are faulty. One of them is missing parts, but I have no idea which parts are missing.

Can anyone help uncover the mystery of how exactly a magic arm works?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Chris!
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 07:59 PM   #22
Tourist

SD|Envy video output

Hello,
I work on a closed-circuit television station for a high school, and the CG has gone by the wayside. I bought a Bluefish444 SD|Envy off of eBay for $499, as it has key and fill outputs. However, we do not have the money to purchase the insanely expensive CG software that's compatible with the Envy. Thus, I am wondering if there is any sort of program that provides video out capabilities for such a card (or if anyone was willing to mess with the SDK, but I highly doubt that). Yes, in hindsight, I could have bought a MUCH cheaper video card that has video outputs. But I'd kinda like to justify this purchase here.
Jeff Sundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 11:50 PM   #23
Regular Crew

TV Converter boxes & aspect ratio coverters?

I am interested in finding out if there are cheap boxes that will convert an analog "squeezed" (16:9 squeezed into 4:3) picture into letterboxed 4:3. I want to shoot in SD dv mini widescreen and my reference editing monitor is just a standard 4:3 TV. My canopus storm outputs 16:9 as squeezed video.

Now, I'm reading that these HD TV converter boxes will receive a digital over the air 16:9 signal and letterbox it for old tv's. Anyone think that these could possibly take in squeezed video and then letterbox it? Possibly going from Canopus to an old dvd player RF adaptor and into the converter box?
Matt Headley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #24
Tourist

macro video?

I need to shoot an extreme close up of eyelashes. I'd like to fill the frame with half an eyeball or less. Is there a lens attatchment, camera or something else that will allow me to do this?
Eddie Roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 09:25 PM   #25
Major Player

Troubleshooting DV camcorder connectivity

I often receive emails from people asking for help with getting their DV camcorders to work properly with Windows. I have finally written a troubleshooting document and is available here:

http://www.enosoft.net/dl.php?filena...nnectivity.pdf

(you can skip the download registration page)

The general principles also apply to HDV.

John.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #26
Major Player

Taping a Band this week...(footage --> website)

Hey guy's I am taping a band this week so that they can add some video to their website. However, I am wondering if I should should 60i or 30p? I think for lighting and rendering for web applications that 30p would be my best choice?...not to mention less light required for exposure.

Thanks!
Guy Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 04:33 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Archiving Projects

I’ve searched the forums and have not been able to find much info on project archiving… at least not the questions I have.

Of course you should archive the originals, but how much of the project material should be kept??? My general thought would be the latest files of each step or process, in other words enough to pick up where you left off should something else be required. Part of my dilemma is that in the HD world this can be a fairly large amount of data. I’ve got one project that is in the 350 GB range. Typically what types of things could I whittle out of this to reduce its size to something more manageable???

Say you get it down to what you can live with… how do you keep your project together??? I tend to think zipping or tar’ing might be in order. You probably won’t get a compression advantage but it would at least make sure you don’t loose a file.

Next would be where do you archive such large files??? Placing them on an external drive doesn’t completely solve the issue when faced with a drive failure or the size issue (3 or the above projects would fill a 1 TB drive). So should you move to a RAIDed drive??? This should solve the reliability issue, but not necessarily the size issues (You can only get 8 of the above projects onto a 4 drive/3T/RAID5 array… granted not all my projects are this big but I’m using it for comparison). Oh yeah, this is just my hobby… it takes a while to justify the cost of a large RAID array.

Are there any tape based systems that are cost effective that might be used for this???

So I’m just wondering how others are dealing with the same issues.

Mark
Mark Keck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #28
Major Player

A thought about editing...

Just posted a thought about editing on my blog. (Yes, I have a blog now! Doesn't everyone??) Please feel welcome to check it out and discuss...

http://whatsnewatmikepulcinellavideo....blogspot.com/
Michael Pulcinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 09:24 AM   #29
Major Player

Music for video - the musician's plug thread

Here's a quick list of some music in various styles for you to sample. These are musicians with whom I have developed relationships over the past year or so in order to use their music in my videos in return for cross promotion (and a fee, of course).

If you'd like to use any of these artists in your projects please contact them and be sure to let them know that I turned you on to them!

Liz Longley - sensitive, folksy pop ballads (Check out "Different Love Song" - great for weddings!)

http://www.myspace.com/lizlongley

Arjun - NY based instrumental trio. Jazzy, funky rock. Or Rocky funky jazz. Or...you get the point!

http://www.myspace.com/arjunmusic

Doriano Zurlo - Multi-talended Italian musician. Hard to categorize. Just listen.

http://www.myspace.com/dorianozurlo

Jeffery Koepper - analogue synthesizer, sequencer based, retro “space” music. Very evocative and atmospheric.

http://www.myspace.com/jeffreykoepper

Martin Bailey - ambient and electronic with a generous helping of rock. Unlike the other artists on this list, Martin is specifically a soundtrack composer and will write music specifically tailored to your project.

http://www.myspace.com/powerescape

If you all have any video-friendly musicians that you are working with please feel free to post them here.

Thanks,
Mike
Old March 22nd, 2008, 02:24 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Hardware-Based 3:2 pulldown removal

Hi: I am looking for a hardware-based solution for 3:2 pulldown removal. This would require HDMI input and output and the signal would be 1080 60i (YUV 4:2:2). I have found this:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=486889&is=REG
But this is about $500 and is designed to do much more than I need. Looking for something cheaper. Oh and to complicate things, there are no flags in the stream.
Michael Panfeld is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion