Misc. Open DV from 2008 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 23rd, 2008, 01:36 PM   #61
New Boot

DAR, PAR and strange ratios

Hey guys!

I have a question. I'm finally starting to get my head around aspect ratios and how everything works... but still there are some things I just don't get. Any help with this would be very much appreciated.

Normal TV aspect ratio is 1.33, or 4:3, and yeah.. that seems all good for 640x480 for example. But if I would convert this to PAL land for a little while...

SD DV is 720x576. In square pixels this is 786x576 for everything to look right on screen, but this means a DAR of 1.3645?? A true 1.33 ratio would mean 768x576, but this in practice doesn't seem to fit the original footage.
Same thing is true for widescreen, 16:9 which means 1.78. Again DV is 720x576. The PAR for widescreen is about 1.46, which means that in square pixels this would become 1048x576... but this again equals to DAR of 1.82 where you really want 1.78? Again... what you would want seems to be 1024x576 for a 16:9 relationship but this doesn't seem to fit the original image.

Where do I go wrong? Thx a lot!

Also.. why are widescreen computer screens 1.6? Shouldn't they be 1.78??
Thomas Johansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:00 AM   #62
Major Player

Creating Web based video Library

I have been looking all over the internet for some methods and way to create a video library on a web site.

If anyone has any good resources that you can provide that would be great.
Thanks!
Guy Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 05:24 AM   #63
Major Player

Manfrotto head Handle connection

I have lost the little gizmo that is used to attached my lanc pan handle to my 503 head?

Does anyone know the correct name for this gear/screw connector?
Old June 6th, 2008, 08:46 AM   #64
Inner Circle

Archiving Film - good story

Interesting newstory on archiving film via digital technologies.

Themz sum HUUUGE files.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-99...g=2547-1_3-0-5
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #65
Tourist

Will the new Canon DW-100 burner work with the HG10 Camcorder?

I purchased a Canon HG10 Camcorder in October of 2008 and see there is a new Canon DW-100 DVD burner.

Will the DW-100 work with the HG10 or does it only work with the new VIXIA line of camcorders? For some reason, I thought I heard there might be a firmware upgare to allow its use with the HG10.

Thanks!
Joe Rinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 05:15 PM   #66
Major Player

MXO 1080PsF 1920x1080 23.98 SDI OUT

I attached a screenshot. Does this mean it will upress a 720 24p sequence from Final Cut Pro to a HD-CAM SR? Does this emulate a Kona board for outputting (keeping in mind that it accepts tri-level sync)?

-C
Attached Thumbnails
Misc. Open DV from 2008-picture-3.jpg  
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 08:25 PM   #67
Major Player

Wed delivery ......

What do i need to do to get this to play much faster? It takes forever for the player image to display. Once it is up it plays great. But the wait seems endless.

In fact, I bet you will not see the footage because of the wait time...

It takes it a few minutes to load the page, but it is there. ( I need to work on the web delivery!!)
http://visualboxscore.com/video/reds/jack_trigger.html 182MB

I did it the same way I did this little kid flag football game at it is fine...
http://visualboxscore.com/video/reds/Little_Cards.html
Old June 13th, 2008, 03:37 AM   #68
Regular Crew

hyson films and matte box??

i am looking into buying a mattebox. i searched the forums and didn't find much on the hyson films matte box or any other hyson equipment.

i was wondering if anyone has some experience with the HD matte box from hyson? for under $300 bucks i am extremely interested.

thanks,
mike
Michael Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 11:36 AM   #69
Major Player

Hard Drives 750 GB for $100.

Just a FYI. At newegg, either Samsung or Seagate, there are some differences between the 2, check it out.
Norris Combs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #70
New Boot

Downconvert HDCAM-SR to DigiBeta

Hello,

I've been through so many forums and emails with Sony regarding their HDCAM-SR deck and attempting a downconvert from the SR (at 23.98fps HD) to Digibeta (SD 30fps). I've managed to get settings on both decks figured out, through help from forums and Sony, but now I am having TC issues. On all my test dubs, the Digibeta TC is roughly 3 seconds off from the master (HD version). Anybody out there have any experience with the SR deck and downconverting? It's taking me way too long to figure this out. Any ideas or input is most helpful. Thanks!
Scott Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 10:41 AM   #71
Regular Crew

1st Isle of Man idependent film festival entries wanted.

Entries are required for the first independent film festival on the Isle of Man(UK).

If you are interested in submitting a film then please contact me(I am going to set a group up on facebook soon,so just message me on this site)

We don't have any firm dates,however we plan to hold the event over a long weekend this coming winter. Any subject matter will be accepted and all films will need to be less than 20 minutes long.

Prizes will be given(size of prizes depends on how much sponsorship we get!)
Old July 7th, 2008, 09:30 PM   #72
Wrangler

rolling backpacks: Lowepro Computrekker vs. RoadRunner

I'm in the market for a rolling camera backpack, just wondering if anyone has an opinion on the Lowepro Compu Trekker Plus versus the Lowepro Road Runner.

Or if anyone has suggestions of bags from other companies in this market, I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks!
Old July 16th, 2008, 07:26 AM   #73
Regular Crew

The ultimate keyboard (Optimus Maximus)

If you have €1193!!

Each keyboard has an Lcd display on each key. So no matter what editing app, from Fcp to Photoshop, each key shows the shortcuts when you select the app. Each key is fully programmable and any icons, jpegs can be assigned to each key display.

It’s a shame about the crazy price!

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/
Niall Megahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #74
Tourist

Interview Audio Clipping

Hello all,

I did a DV interview recently, and being a newbie, didn't realize the importance of a field mixer. The result is audio that clips. In Apple Soundtrack, the clip distortion tool takes care of the distortion but it drops the high end. Anyone had luck with this tool? Any techniques for vocals? Many thanks!

Joe
Joe Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 05:14 PM   #75
Major Player

Lipstick/Bullet cam and IS

Hello. It's bullet cam question day, based on the other thread below. Is there such a thing as a bullet cam that operates with image stabilization?

I'd like to use a small helmet-mounted device to shoot cycling and other action sports and maintain the functionality of the IS in my camera. I'd prefer not mounting my entire camera to my helment.

My guess is that this isn't feasible (since the cam has no way to provide the IS control to an accessory lens bringing signal in thru the A/C port) or it would be easy to find them on the 'net but none of the models I've found list this feature.

Thanks
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion