DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Do I NEED a charger for every AB battery? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/111762-do-i-need-charger-every-ab-battery.html)

Levi Bethune January 6th, 2008 06:30 PM

Do I NEED a charger for every AB battery?

I'm looking to invest in Anton Bauer as my battery choice and I was looking to get some feedback from any AB users concerning Lifesaver mode.

I am on a pretty tight budget and since AB isn't exactly cheap, I'm going to take it slow. I have a tandem charger and a Hytron 50 for my JVC HD110U and I need to get more bricks, but AB tells me that I should have a charging position for every battery I own to keep it fully charged. I don't have the funds to buy a charger for every battery, or drop 1.2K on a four-position.

I don't shoot every day, but when I do, it's for about 6-8 hours. I'm wondering if I ABSOLUTELY need to have a charger for every battery to keep it alive, or if I'll be fine keeping a couple on the shelf while one charges.

I know enough about batteries to know that they will still work, but I want to pick the brains of the many experts and see what other's methods are, and to see if anyone out there has a charging position for every one of their batteries.

Jim Andrada January 6th, 2008 07:58 PM

I have a Tandem and a Trimpac and also bought an additional Dionic 90. I just charge them both one after the other and may (or may not) leave one on the charger while the other sits around for a couple of days. I've never seen any problem. I like the Tandem because i can use it to run the camera off of AC power.

It would be nice to have an extra charger, but I'm not going to stay up all night worrying about it or spend a lot of money. I don't use the camera every day and a fully charged Dionic is enough for a couple of days of usage with the Trimpac in reserve (if I remember to charge it up the night before)

I usually just leave the Tandem attached to the battery and stick it on the HD 110.

Alex Dolgin January 6th, 2008 08:14 PM

Levi, keep in mind that the Li-Ion based batteries (Dionics) self discharge about 2-3% /month. NiMh like Hytrons a bit faster around 5-10% /month. So if you put them on a charger once a week or so, they will be always fully charged.
What AB means is you do not damage a battery if it stays plugged in, and it would be also fully charged, buy you do not have to.

Levi Bethune January 6th, 2008 08:46 PM

Makes sense. Thank you very much for your responses. Question answered.

Kevin Randolph January 7th, 2008 12:59 PM

FYI: have a look t this thread....

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=105569

maybe this would help out your budget...

Kevin

Levi Bethune January 7th, 2008 03:22 PM

Thanks Kevin for that tip. I wish I would have seen that thread this morning, that Hytron 140 is exactly the battery I'm looking for.

Like I said, I'm on a very limited budget right now and I have to prioritize my purchases, and a second battery has to come before a second charger.

Thanks again though for thinking of me on that one.

Don Bloom January 7th, 2008 08:33 PM

there is NO need to have a charger for every battery. The tandem charger will charge 'em then swap out to charge the others then IF you need to put 'em back on for a final "push" to top it off and you'll be good to go.
Before I hade my 4 position charger I had a 2 postion non intelligent charge and that's what I did and never had a probelm with any AB barrty, Hytrons or Dionics.
I will admit that the 4 position 2702 intellicharger made life a lot easier but do you absolutely NEED it? Nope, use what you got til you can afford the big guy.

Don

Levi Bethune January 7th, 2008 10:20 PM

Thanks guys. I'm going to do exactly what you said Don about giving them that extra push before each shoot. I'll invest in a four-position when I actually have more than four batteries to use it for, until then, I'm set. I'm glad I asked though, for me, this is a huge investment.

I appreciate the input. The combined wisdom, knowledge, opinions and street smarts on this forum always amaze me.