Need hardware and software advice, please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 28th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Need hardware and software advice, please

Greetings, all!

So I paid off my credit card over the weekend, because I couldn’t stand to look at the statements anymore. This nearly wiped out all of the funds I was saving for my Mac Pro—at least for the time being. But the debt is gone, gone, gone.

In the meantime, I need to replace my nearly 7-year-old Dell Dimension 8100, which at that age is an absolute dinosaur. Because I will be getting the Mac down the line (probably in September), I’d like to get a reasonably-priced PC at the end of February that still has enough power and storage to edit video files. My old machine just can’t do it.

What do you recommend I purchase? What specs should I look for in the processor, video card, etc.?

I have $1,000 to spend (I know it’s not a lot), and want to purchase a modest PC, plus some sort of relatively inexpensive editing software--even if it has to be an older version of something I pick up on eBay.

Should I try to find a machine with Windows XP, rather than Vista? If so, should I then look at refurbished models by either Dell or HP that have XP on them? What other PC manufacturers do you recommend?

I own a Sony PDX-10, and will be editing footage shot on SD tapes. I understand that some editing programs have had trouble importing from the PDX-10. Is there any software in particular I need to avoid?

Thank you very much. I trust your knowledgeable opinions.
Paula DiSante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #2
Major Player

You could try to save some money by using your existing monitor. Or get a new one that will be Mac-friendly.

A couple of years ago I got a refurbished Gateway direct from them (just the computer, mouse and keyboard). It saved me a lot of money - it was about $500 and I am still very pleased with it.

Go to http://www.gateway.com and enter 'refurbished' in the search box. Other manufacturers do the same thing - including Apple, I believe.

If you can get the option of XP, go with that.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 05:39 PM   #3
Wrangler

I'm still happily editing SD with Vegas on a scrappy old P4 2.4 Mhz.

If you really want to spend the US$1,000 get a Q6600 Quad Core, best bang for the buck. I have one for HDV & rendering. For editing software: Windows Movie Maker, Sony Vegas Movie Studio, Adobe Premiere Elements. - And definitely XP for the OS

But if you're going Mac anyway, I'd set my sights and just go for it. All these temporary pit stops along the journey just means it will take you longer to get there.
Old January 28th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #4
New Boot

know anyone who is good at building computers? if you do, talk to em about what you want to do with the pc and cite specific programs you know you want the machine to run. ask em if they can build you something from scratch. there are plenty of system integrators online to make sure components are compatable. and a grand spent that way will go a whole lot further than a grand towards HP, Apple or Dell.
Eric Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 07:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks, guys, for the advice and suggestions. I have a few weeks before I need to make a decision, so I'll be checking out any and all ideas (any others you care to make, please do!)

I will keep my current monitor, which will work in the meantime. I really don't want to go for the Mac until I have the money in the bank--because I just got out of that credit card thing, and want to stay out of it. I can wait until later in the year for the Mac. But before then, it would be nice to have a PC to work with.

I'm not sure if I want to hunt for someone to build me a PC right now. If I knew someone nearby who had wonderful references and endorsements, I'd certainly consider it. But I think I prefer to hit the ground running out of a manufacturer's box.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer! I really appreciate it.

Paula--
Paula DiSante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 08:13 PM   #6
Wrangler

The Dell XPS 420 looks decent. But I'd think seriously about asking them if they could install Windows XP instead. They don't offer it as an option on the website, so you'll probably have to call.
Old January 29th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks, Michael. I went to Dell's website to look at the specs, and it sounds like a good "interim" machine. I will definitely consider it!
Paula DiSante is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion