I hate Ebay! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Closed Thread

Old February 6th, 2008, 10:46 PM   #1
Major Player

I hate Ebay!

Is it just me, or is it extremely difficult to shop for any lighting, camera, grip items on eBay? It seems that it's full of a handful of cheesy online store-fronts selling the exact same item 5000 times, thus rendering the site useless.

If you're looking for something new and know exactly what you wnat, I guess that's fine. But I'm trying to find some deals.... You know, a former videographer deciding to become a real estate agent and selling his stuff...

Can't find it on eBay. If it's there, it's like the needle in the haystack. You might find it if you're lucky, but you probably won't with all the other clutter.

Am I doing something wrong?
Old February 6th, 2008, 10:58 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Ebay is driven by whatever info the seller puts in; there are just too many listing for Ebay to check, so if someone spends enough time and figures out how to best market their stuff, all others are pushed aside. I often experience the same frustration. Try different keywords, that helps sometimes.

As far as finding that videographer gone realtor... good luck. It's actually happening the other way around because of the pitiful state of the mortgage industry (don't start me on that).

I was (technically still am) the happy owner of a real estate salesperson license. Never made a lot of money (only worked part time), but it was fun to drive around and enter in any home on the market. The biggest achievement: found a nice home for a good price last fall. Now, that license will lapse at the end of this month unless I take some courses... and I won't do it.

I rather get my camera out and go shoot some video...
Old February 6th, 2008, 11:02 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Basically, you have to know what you want and then look for it. Do you know what you are looking for?

I have bought items there and have been very happy. I bought a kit from Amvona on eBay a couple of years ago and it was a bargain as far as I am concerned. Make sure you get extra bulbs with the kits, as they get expensive. The kit I bought had three lights, but came with 12 bulbs. I have broken one! Mt Bad!

If you are looking for specific kits, like Lowell or some thing, they are hard to find. I think they end up on forum sites like this one first and sell fast.

If you know what you want, post it here and we may be able to help.

Mike
Old February 6th, 2008, 11:20 PM   #4
Major Player

if you notice an abundance of certain items or words on things you do not want from ebay, you can put a minus sign before a word, and it will not return anything with that word in the search. in example, if you want a used item, search "pro video gear -new" and it would search up all of the items with pro video gear, and none that are referred to as new in the title. there is no limitation to the minus signs in a search. also, quotation marks makes it search specific order of words, sometimes that helps. "pro video gear" in quotes would have to have those words in that order, without the quotes, the words could be in any order. hopefully these tips can drop the search by a couple thousand items.
Old February 6th, 2008, 11:50 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Claycomb View Post
Is it just me, or is it extremely difficult to shop for any lighting, camera, grip items on eBay?
Yes it is difficult. That's why I've already done the homework for you, by providing a comprehensive list of trusted DV Info Net sponsors who can get you everything you need. Please give them your business.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion