DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   good shoes (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/11451-good-shoes.html)

Ron Johnson June 30th, 2003 01:09 PM

good shoes

Howdy -

I spent the weekend taping around 10 hours of material while standing on concrete with a thin layer of carpeting and my feet are extremely sore.

Does anyone have favorite shoes or camera operator support systems for extended taping while standing sessions?

Thanks,

RJ

Nori Wentworth June 30th, 2003 01:34 PM

Ron,

Invest in some $10 insoles. They work very well for cushioning, and also draw moisture away from your feet.

There probably are insoles called: Camera operator support systems for extended taping while standing sessions, but I would imagine they would be 10x the price (just for the name).

Jeff Donald June 30th, 2003 01:56 PM

I use a pair of New Balance walking shoes, Model 744. Very good arch support and after 6 months the insole is worn out so I buy another one (Spenco, I think is the brand).

Michael Wisniewski June 30th, 2003 07:54 PM

I'd recommend Rockports for anyone who's on their feet 8-10 hours per day - go to any hospital and ask the nurses - you'll see most of them will recommend Rockports over any other brand.

They're not the most stylish of shoes but that's because they focus on comfort and support over looks.

Adrian Douglas June 30th, 2003 08:39 PM

I'd go for a pair of skateboarding shoes from the likes of DC or Etnies. Heaps of cushioning and support as well as feel for what is under-foot.

Rik Sanchez June 30th, 2003 08:47 PM

In addition to wearing comfortable shoes, I wear a pair of black K-Swiss Classics, I also always bring some extra pairs of socks, changing midway through the shoot feels great.

Matt Stahley June 30th, 2003 08:56 PM

I swear by Clarks with the air mover soles or the classic wallabees with the crepe sole. New Balance is another excellent shoe. You may want to check out shoes by ECCO, Merrell, Birkinstock as well.Shoes with a Gore-Tex liner will help with moisture management and are 100% waterproof too.

Zac Stein July 1st, 2003 01:15 AM

I really love Campers, they are a spanish brand, and made from very thick leather and rubber, i wore 2 pair for 8 months while walking all through europe, my feet felt great, and they still look new. Ohh did i mention they are also fashionable!!! :)

Anyways, here they are $350 a pair, which should be about $220 USD a pair, expensive yes, but they have lastest 2 years now and still as good as the day i got them. And they still make the same ones, they don't go off with new ones every 2 weeks.

As a wise man said to me, "i am too poor to wear cheap clothes" you pay for what you get.

Zac

Bryan Beasleigh July 1st, 2003 02:00 AM

I second Clarks, not cheap but they last and there's nothing like them for comfort and support.

Ron Johnson July 1st, 2003 10:08 AM

Thanks for all of the replies. Normally I do wear New Balance, but hadn't considered simply changing the inserts - so I can try that first and then look into the other brands. I agree, if the shoes were marketed for video use, the price would be at least 10x mark-up!

Ron J.

Dean Sensui July 1st, 2003 02:28 PM

Ron...

I had a temp job at United Airlines food service back when I was in high school. It had me on my feet for the whole shift and my feet were killing me!

After the third day it got a whole lot better. For me it was a matter of getting used to standing up all day long.

As for shoes, I actually found a pair of decent tennis shoes at Costco for about $30. Works great. I was surprised to see a catering person wearing the same pair and he thought they did the trick for him as well (and he spends a lot of time on his feet).

Those are the shoes I wear if I'm handling a Glidecam V16 for long shoots.

And besides the change in socks, I also bring a change in shirts. That Glidecam vest makes me sweat like a horse -- and I'm a skinny guy!

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions

Christopher Hughes July 1st, 2003 03:20 PM

GENERAL LOCATIONS =
I use Running Shoes, mainly by ADIDIAS (cushion listed type) or sometimes NIKES. If you het good running shoes they are comfortable, soft, and FLAT, a lot of time the tread can make your feet more tired. I'm on my feet all day long in work...so I know. I have black leather pair so looks conservative to go with smart trousers (pants). They also offer good support as running shoes are designed to give maximum effort to movement and in direction of walking/running so help 'stabalize' the foot.

COUNTRY/ OFF-ROAD LOCATIONS =
HI-TECH Magnum Boots, the same as used by the special forces and Emergency services. They are actually a Trainer (sneaker) soled shoe, so very light for boots. Soft cushoning and have a steel shaft along inside sole base so to keep ridged and not flop in half. They are soft 'real' leather and very comfortable. Thats why even the local flatty 'Walking cop' uses them.

One trick I learned for lots of running and outdoors activities, is if you can change your socks after half day...so your feet get to breath and lets them dry. And dont use socks with high Nylon or poliestor....get ones with high cotton mix in them, they avoid feet sweating the best. AND if you can get 2 pairs and rotate shoes every day, so they have time to dry out properly and also the acid in sweat makes them deteriate quicker so rotating helps a great deal for you feet.

So get a GOOD pair of ADIDAS cushion (road/flat) trainers (sneakers) and you wont regret it!

Harry Settle July 1st, 2003 03:49 PM

I wear a modified tux outfit, when I shoot my weddings. What would look decent with that?

Bryan Beasleigh July 1st, 2003 08:16 PM

Harry
A pair of clark brogues are super comfy. They come in black.

Don Bloom July 1st, 2003 09:10 PM

RockPorts have worked really well for me.
All sizes, different colors, different styles!
Ahhhh, heaven!

Robert J. Wolff July 2nd, 2003 08:13 AM

Shoes…

Change your socks often. Start a regime of walking at least 1 hour a day, over undulating terrain, if possible. That will help you more than brand name.

Charles Papert July 2nd, 2003 09:11 AM

For years I used New Balance mid-tops for Steadicam and hand-held work (little bit of ankle support is good) but of late I have been using Nike's. I do agree that Clark makes a comfy but ugly shoe (and their sandals are great) but not the best for active shooting.

John Locke July 2nd, 2003 06:05 PM

I recommend hiking socks that are thin all around except for the heel and the ball of the foot (with wicking ability), and lightweight hiking boots (I use Nike) that provide ankle support.

And if you have to dress formally...Rockports.

Mike Rehmus July 2nd, 2003 08:45 PM

SAS are really good too.