Logging solutinos at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 12th, 2008, 02:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Logging solutinos

Right so I have a problem that some one out there may be able to help me with. I am trying to figure out a better way to deal with the logging of tapes we are currently stuck with a HUGE word file that has tables. Its horrible to work with.. not really searchable in the right way and a pain to update with over three hundred tapes in it needs some sort of revamp.

basically the searchablity of it is really really important
this is just the text version of the log

any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers!!

Jennie
Jennie Stenhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #2
Regular Crew

If the text is in a table in MS Word, then you should be able to cut and paste it straight into an Excel spreadsheet. Once in Excel, you can sort the rows by whichever columns you want, making it much easier to find stuff, and you can still do text searches.

You could then import the spreadsheet into an MS Access database and design some forms for querying and entering data, but this takes a bit more time and expertise.
Tony Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 06:53 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi ya

the thoughts of a database had actually crossed my mind already ( my background is comp sci oddly enough ) I thought there might already be a solution on market but i guess rolling my own really is going to have to be the way to go !

Cheers

Jennie
Jennie Stenhouse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion