Is it possible for dirty heads to contaminate tapes? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 3rd, 2003, 08:07 AM   #16
Wrangler

I remember when talking to a tech at Panasonic Broadcast he said to try ff and rewinding a fresh tape to help "loosen the head of foriegn particles". He said it works similarly to a head cleaner because even normal tapes have a very minute amout of abrasivness to them. Going by that statement I'd have to guess that the tape DOES go over the heads while in ff and rewind. I just figured I'd mention it because I'm sure companies' techs have been wrong....especially the schlubs hired to answer the phones.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2003, 05:37 PM   #17
Wrangler

Hi Jeff,

[I'm not saying tape transports don't get replaced, they do. But they are replaced because they get bent or misaligned because of careless handling, not FF and REW tapes. Some cameras my have the tape in contact with the heads during FF and REW, most don't.]

Can the XL1s get "bent or misaligned" for any other reason? We treat ours with the greatest of care, but through our detective work, it's looking like the cameras are to blame for the bad video/audio playback through anything other than the cameras themselves, or a high-end deck. Honestly, I don't know how anyone could be easier on a camera than I am!!

On another note, your comments solidify the thought I was given that we should just use the cameras for playback/capture, because by the time they wear out we'll probably want to buy something different.
Old July 8th, 2003, 08:18 PM   #18
Warden

Cameras can go out of align for many reasons, but the most common is a bump or knock. It doesn't have to be very hard, like the camera sliding of the car seat during a quick stop. It just goes bump, and everything seems OK. But those small parts have been slightly bent. Each successive use cause a little more abnormal wear and tear. After 6 months or so the unit is out of align.

I agree on your last statement. Camera are all direct drive, in other words gears. They do not use belts etc. anymore. It would be just about impossible to wear out the drive gears etc. Heads are usually good for 1000 hours or so. That's a lot of taping. Again, for most people, the technology will have changed enough to warrant an investment in a new camera.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2003, 09:05 PM   #19
Wrangler

Wow, I had no idea these cameras were so delicate. I don't remember any bumps or knocks, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Guess I won't worry as long as we can make it work in the present; however, I will be upset if, way down the road, we need anything off the old tapes and other equipment won't be able to play it. That's why I'm not gung ho on getting these two "realigned." Not that anything I've shot is so valuable to date, but what do you say about that--could getting the cameras serviced cause us problems playing our old tapes?
Old July 8th, 2003, 09:09 PM   #20
Warden

I may not happen every time, but as the saying goes, It only takes once.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion