Platform/Software Forum? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 7th, 2002, 01:25 AM   #16
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Ozzie, Get Them Both!

For a relatively small cost why not get them both and hedge your capabilities? Or donate the loser to an underpriviledged NY film school and write down the expense.

The abcdv.com site has just published a pretty comprehensive feature comparison of the two at:

http://www.abcdv.com/editing/avidxpressdv/xdv3_vs_fcp3.html

This should help you at least survey them from a distance. Perhaps your Avid rep will let you try-out xpressdv for a month free?

As you've noted in the past, one of the practical considerations your shop faces is that of shifting labor pool skills. If you'll have trouble getting FCP3 editors for projects then your decision, at least in the short-term, may be made for you already.

As I am not faced with the production issues that face your shop, and I've never used any Avid system, it would be presumptuous of me to make a recommendation. All I can tell you is that I've just upgraded my FCP3 station from a dual 500MHz G4 to a dual 1GHz G4 and I've now got to get a seat belt for my desk chair. The fluidity of workflow even on long, complex sequences has just improved an order of magnitude.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2002, 01:39 AM   #17

Ozzie, I think it's hard to find anyone who isn't biased.

Give me some time. I'm digging through some of my old DV magazines. I know I saw a comparison between the two not long ago. If I can find it, I'll let you know the issue.
Old March 7th, 2002, 08:22 AM   #18
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by afterburnerDV : Ozzie,

talk about dropping him in the deep end. However I'd like to hear the outcome as my PC sditing days are just about over for a number of reasons. -->>>

That's what you get for volunteering. No one said the questions would have easy answers - if any at all. ;-)
Old March 7th, 2002, 08:38 AM   #19
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Joe Redifer : Answer: Final Cut Pro is more fun! ... What do you think of Avid? Anything you wish it could do that it doesn't? I think it's just a matter of personal preference. -->>>

What has traditionally been AVID's biggest problem is its insistence on rigid - very rigid- hardware standards. It used to be the AVID software came with the hardware and no alterations were allowed if you wanted to maintain AVID support. Although I can understand their reasons for this, it got ridiculous - e.g. I was forced to get and external CD burner because AVID would not change nor support and internal one. I ended up paying for two when I only needed one. (the one it came with and the CD-R I had to buy.)

Second gripe - their compression scheme has always been compatible with nothing. Yes QT can be imported and exported but not an easy feat. Also AVID files are hogs when it comes to drive space.

AVID has seen the error of its ways - strong competition from FCP3 - and has finally brought out DV Express which is the first release that is sold without hardware. They have a list of suggested configurations and minimum standards, but it's as open as AVID has ever been. Is it worth the extra 200 to 300 dollars over FCP3? I don't know. The AVID afficionados tell me - nothing will ever come close to AVID. The FCP3 people tell me it's just a waste of money.

So that's where I am at the moment. I don't need to do anything immediately but it's food for thought. Comaprisons are welcomed.

I'd love to see that DV mag comaparison.
Old March 7th, 2002, 11:25 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Try this link, which Ken posted in another thread:

http://www.abcdv.com/editing/avidxpressdv/xdv3_vs_fcp3.html
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2002, 09:53 PM   #21
Obstreperous Rex

I've been stalling on this a little bit, but we're just about ready to make this so. Joe Redifer, are you still up for assisting to moderate a Mac/FCP forum? And Rob Lohman, any others for a PC forum? Ken Tanaka has graciously agreed to help with overall Community moderation. These are your boards folks, so any & all suggestions/gripes/ideas/complaints/desires are fair game here.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2002, 10:34 PM   #22
Major Player

Looks like Ken has already done a little community "moderation"! Thanks, Ken -- you said it better than I would have.....
Old March 19th, 2002, 11:41 PM   #23

Ozzie,

I've dug through my back issues of DV magazine...but I can't find it. Either I have the wrong mag in mind, or I'm perhaps going entirely insane. Maybe both. ;)

Oh well...the article on the web mentioned by Ken earlier is a good "checklist" to see the different menus of the two systems.

There IS an article out there...somewhere...that gives a very thorough breakdown on the differences, based on "hands on" experience with both. I know this because it was primarily that article that made me decide on FCP. I'll let you know if it strikes me suddenly just where I saw it.

Does anyone else remember that article?
Old March 20th, 2002, 01:34 AM   #24

Ozzie & John,
I couldn't find it in the magazine, either. But I did find...

...a review of the product on DV.com:
http://www.dv.com/magazine/2001/1001/ftr_capria1001.html

...and the DV.com forum for XpressDV:
http://www.dv.com/db_area/community/Forum17/HTML/000022.html

-Ken-

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2002, 04:14 AM   #25
RED Code Chef

Chris,

I'm still up for the idea and/or the job. If you need me just
contact me and we'll work some things out.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2002, 07:34 PM   #26
Machinist Mate

I love it--- an "avid" FCP user! LOL!
Actually I like the idea of having both in a busy post shop. My gosh, the mere thought of losing one gig because the client "required" you to use Brand X versus Y or because the qualifed editor was expert in one but not the other...well, you get the idea.

Going in the other direction, I am about to add Premiere to my shop, not cuz I'm itching to quit using FCP, but for greater compatibility with some of the desktop jocks who cut their teeth on Premiere and also some of its outputting options. And if a project comes along that "requires" Avid XpressDV, well, we'll find the money (and who knows, maybe by then they'll make it competitively priced w/FCP). I'll just have to try to keep from getting it confused with QuarkXPress. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion