Dual Layer DVD+R (inkset printable) for DV project at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 11th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Dual Layer DVD+R (inkset printable) for DV project

Just recently I was filming in Kauai, shot so much footage from land from air from boat etc etc, however thats beside the point. I'm getting through most of post when I started to think there was no way in heck I'm going to get all this to fit on a DVD+R 4.7gb (dvd-5) disk. However I wanted to do a light scribe cover and there are no DL light scribe disks yet which I find to be fairly disappointing. Anyway so I'm decided to get some DL DVD+R inkjet printables instead. Is light scribe really all that much better compared to inkjeting on a DVD? Anyway all I need for now is maybe 10, however all I find is 30 packs etc. Anyone know of a ten pack that is a name brand? Thanks
Nathan Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 06:39 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Newegg has 20 packs of DVD+DL inkjet printable disks:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817130997

How many hours of video do you want to fit on the DVD?
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 10:49 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey thanks for the link, I'm looking around 3 hours plus tons and tons of high res pictures that will go in form of video. So almost 4 hours I would think...still in post so I'm not 100 percent sure yet but I know its going to be way over 2 hours. Its not just one feature, there are several segments. Anyway thanks again, if you find anything else let me know.
Old March 12th, 2008, 12:09 AM   #4
Inner Circle

If this is a 4:3 project, you might look at encoding the DVD at half D1 (352x480) to fit on a single layer disk, especially if it will be played back on CRT televisions.
Old March 12th, 2008, 02:09 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Its native 16:9 actually, shot with the Canon Optura xi. Its going to be viewed on widescreen LCDs for the most part. Hmm, I'm just stuck with a DL...oh well I guess.

Last edited by Nathan Petersen; March 12th, 2008 at 02:40 AM.
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Petersen View Post
...Is light scribe really all that much better compared to inkjeting on a DVD?...
IMHO: Lightscribe isn't better than inkjet printing at all. You're much better off with inkjet printed DVDs. IMHO, as I say!
Old March 12th, 2008, 11:12 AM   #7
Major Player

Nathan,
Try Meritline for a wide selection of DVD types. I buy my DVD-R inkjet printables from them. I've been using their Pro Disc brand printables and have never had a coaster.
Hope this helps.
Ken
Ken Plotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks guys, I'll check into ProDisc. I'm fairly sure I have heard of them. I've never done light scribe before and also have never printed directly on the CD. I use to use the white paper labels but the disk wouldn't get enough spin in some drives so it wouldn't play. Anyway thanks again, if anyone else has anything to add feel free.
Old March 13th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #9
Regular Crew

hmm cant seem to find any DL's for ProDisc...

However I did find some super cheap "playo" DVD+R DL hub inkjet printable...but I am scared to try them
http://meritline.stores.yahoo.net/pl...printable.html

Anyone use these? Let me know if anyone has any horror stories with these. Might just try a 10 pack and see how it goes.

Last edited by Nathan Petersen; March 13th, 2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old March 14th, 2008, 01:30 AM   #10
Inner Circle

DL disks aren't a big seller, so there aren't nearly as many brands available. Go with Verbatim. With as much difficulty so many folks have with burning DL disks, going with a generic brand is begging for coasters.
Old March 14th, 2008, 02:34 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I love how the finished product would look on a hub DVD DL but yeah your right, verbatim has got very very good reviews...I'll just go with them, can't go wrong. Thanks again everyone.
Nathan Petersen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion