videomaker instructional videos at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 14th, 2008, 05:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

videomaker instructional videos

Has anybody ever bought any of the Videomaker Instructional Videos?
http://www.videomaker.com/store/home.php?cat=6

If so, would you recommend them? If not, what other instructional videos would you recommend?
Old March 16th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Anybody know of any good videography instructional DVDs?
Old March 18th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Someone correct me if I'm wrong - I don't want to put them in the wrong box - but I always thought VideoMaker is for consumers who want to take their vacation videos to the next level... nothing close to professional though. But again, I might be wrong...
Old March 18th, 2008, 02:39 PM   #4
Major Player

that's how I view them too,
you might want to check out VASST
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:01 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks.

I checked out VASST. Looks like like they have a good selection of training material.
Old March 19th, 2008, 07:06 AM   #6
Major Player

Totally, I like VideoMaker and what they do. Plus I like some of their reviews, but yes, they seem mostly for home video guys/gals that want to add a bit to their vacation vids. Not really for professionals. But plenty of good info. And while not the best, they do show some interesting techniques that a beginner like myself is able to use.
Will Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 07:21 AM   #7
New Boot

I haven't seen the Videomaker DVDs, but I have always liked Videomaker. The magazine is indeed geared towards beginners to mid-level users, however I've always found their magazine and website incredibly useful for those seeking solid video fundamentals.

Ben, this might not be quite what you were looking for in terms of instruction. It is an absolutely fantastic interactive CD film school (read movies, not specifically film) that I own.

http://www.interactivefilmschool.com

I recommend this product to EVERYONE who is interested in the art of filmmaking. It's outstanding... and no, I don't work for them.
Old March 19th, 2008, 11:04 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone.

I'm just beginning into the whole video production thing, so even the basics is a big help.

I've been reading as much as I can online about making videos/movies. I also bought The Computer Videomaker Handbook, which contained a lot of helpful information.

I found a very informative website called Cybercollege, http://www.cybercollege.com/tvp_ind.htm

After you finish each section you can take a quiz to see how much you learned.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:43 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dailey View Post
Has anybody ever bought any of the Videomaker Instructional Videos?
http://www.videomaker.com/store/home.php?cat=6

If so, would you recommend them? If not, what other instructional videos would you recommend?
Hi Ben,
I haven't seen any of the videomaker DVD instructional products you linked to, but from my understanding, the earlier posts are correct in that Videomaker seeks to educate the entry-level to amatuer videographer. I have gleaned some great tips and insight from their magazine over the years, especially when starting out. They also have a YouTube channel with tons of video tutorials on a wide range of subject content.

http://www.youtube.com/user/videomaker

I don't know if any of those clips are taken from the DVD products you referenced. I kind of doubt it because most of the YouTube clips have very minimal production value and look fairly 'thrown together' - which makes me wonder if they're making redundant productions on the cheap for the YouTube crowd...I'm not sure.

If the YouTube clips ARE the same as those on the DVDs, at least you get an idea of the production values on the DVD videos. And the basics are pretty well covered. (Though some subject matter is only slightly touched upon with minimal information, and some of the info would probably be challenged by more seasoned professionals.)

-Jon
Old March 22nd, 2008, 01:33 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks Jonathan.

I never thought to search for Videomaker on YouTube.

I may be putting the cart before the horse with all this studying, since I don't even have a camera yet, but I'd like to have a better understanding of things before purchasing a camera and other high end gear.

So far my only experience has been with consumer cameras, Windows Movie Maker, and Premiere Pro.

I liked Adobe premiere Pro, but unfortunately My computer could only barely handle it. So after the camera purchase I intend to upgrade to a computer that is better suited for video editing.

Thanks again for the YouTube link.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 01:56 PM   #11
Major Player

You might be interested in checking out this thread...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=99505
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 12:09 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks Terry for the links.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion