Adding Video to the Web. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 23rd, 2008, 08:45 PM   #16
Major Player

Over the week end I have attempted to achieve this with Virtual dub as the Ervin comments on above.

I have Pinnacle Studio and have no idea if it will do this or not?
Guy Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 04:53 AM   #17
Major Player

I am not sure how to do it with VDub but I am sure some tutorials can be found.

http://www.guthspot.se/video/#deinterlacesmooth

and

http://www.100fps.com/

Come up.

You could also use the help feature of Pinnacle. I have not used that program in ages but I imagine its compressor might have the needed feature.
Josh Chesarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 12:04 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Compression for the web

One of the things that has finally sold me on HD is the performance now possible on the web. I am really impressed with the quality of video I see on Vimeo. I am especially impressed with the HD videos on this site. So my question is, if one has the Sorenson Squeeze Compression Suite, is it possible to achieve exactly the same quality and size on ones own Windows Server. The Flash player used by Vimeo is just a custom skin ( i think). I'd be most interested in seeing this discussion go into more depth with details on tweaked settings inside Squeeze!

Have any of you gotten into Flash encoding or built any web video using Flash CS3 components from sites like www.afcomponents.com and www.flashloaded.com
?

I see that there is an increasing tendency to just let sites like Vimeo take care of all these techie details but if one is building a web presence for marketing it seems better to keep things all on one's own site...
Old March 30th, 2008, 06:07 AM   #19
Major Player

With the right tools such as Sorenson Squeeze you can do anything really. I compress all of my videos and keep them on my website (www.simplethoughtproductions.com) for the same reason you list. But I use Sorenson and a Prebuilt player to deal with all of that rather than make my own flash site. While I like flash for video I hate it for websites :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer-benson View Post
One of the things that has finally sold me on HD is the performance now possible on the web. I am really impressed with the quality of video I see on Vimeo. I am especially impressed with the HD videos on this site. So my question is, if one has the Sorenson Squeeze Compression Suite, is it possible to achieve exactly the same quality and size on ones own Windows Server. The Flash player used by Vimeo is just a custom skin ( i think). I'd be most interested in seeing this discussion go into more depth with details on tweaked settings inside Squeeze!

Have any of you gotten into Flash encoding or built any web video using Flash CS3 components from sites like www.afcomponents.com and www.flashloaded.com
?

I see that there is an increasing tendency to just let sites like Vimeo take care of all these techie details but if one is building a web presence for marketing it seems better to keep things all on one's own site...
Old March 30th, 2008, 08:28 AM   #20
Regular Crew

web video

I hate flash too, I really don't think its as good as Quicktime and all the machinations one has to go through to make it work make it a royal pain. I looked at your site and experienced a typical problem...the spinning gear, indicating slow download speed. With QT you see it loading and cacheing and you can play anything provided you are prepared to wait for it...it doesn't seem that way with flash. Anyway, what do you think of the Vimeo quality ad do you know how to match it?

I see that Sorenson has added a new codec to its Flash squeeze and called it Squeeze 4.8. It includes H.264, AAC, HE-AAC, MP4. I don't seem to have this in the 4.5 Compression Suite. Know anything about this...?

Tim
Old March 30th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #21
Major Player

Which Video did you play? There are 2 videos on my site that require the latest version of flash to play because they use H264 files instead of FLV. The rest play for pretty much everyone. Most vidoes will take about 5 seconds to buffer as I load the key frames which allows people to jump anywhere int he video after that. Squeeze 4.5 has everything any other product has, minus the advanced flash onVP6 but I think this is a waste as adobe is trying to move to H.264 videos which are better anyways.

Quote:
I hate flash too, I really don't think its as good as Quicktime and all the machinations one has to go through to make it work make it a royal pain. I looked at your site and experienced a typical problem...the spinning gear, indicating slow download speed. With QT you see it loading and cacheing and you can play anything provided you are prepared to wait for it...it doesn't seem that way with flash. Anyway, what do you think of the Vimeo quality ad do you know how to match it?

I see that Sorenson has added a new codec to its Flash squeeze and called it Squeeze 4.8. It includes H.264, AAC, HE-AAC, MP4. I don't seem to have this in the 4.5 Compression Suite. Know anything about this...?

Tim
Old March 30th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Video compression

I played the first one - Rollins Womens Lacrosse March 22nd.
I am on a rather poor rural wireless internet connection. I am also on Mac OS X Leopard and have installed the latest Flash 9 player
Do you have any idea what the parameters might be for the Vimeo Flash?
Old March 30th, 2008, 11:28 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
I played the first one - Rollins Womens Lacrosse March 22nd.
I am on a rather poor rural wireless internet connection. I am also on Mac OS X Leopard and have installed the latest Flash 9 player
Do you have any idea what the parameters might be for the Vimeo Flash?
Strange that it was giving you buffering issues. That particular file is 32MB. Most people on broadband are able to have it playing within 5 seconds though. I am not sure what Vimeo uses. I know they ask for 720 videos to be between 3000 and 5000kbs MPEG4 h264s but Im fairly sure their FLVs are closer to just 1000kbs but I don't know without getting a hold of the actual FLV file and inspecting the meta data.

For fun I created my own HD Flash Video at a resolution of 1280*720 @ 30FPS Keyframed every 30 Frames @ 1500Kbps for video and 128kbps for stereo audio. 55 Second Video is 10.7MB

http://www.simplethoughtproductions....s/hd_test.html

Last edited by Josh Chesarek; March 30th, 2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old March 30th, 2008, 12:24 PM   #24
Regular Crew

web video

I like the way you have arranged your videos. Do you do all the web page production yourself? Notice you are using php. Was looking at some similar means of displaying my videos
Old March 30th, 2008, 12:31 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
I like the way you have arranged your videos. Do you do all the web page production yourself? Notice you are using php. Was looking at some similar means of displaying my videos
The website is powered by Wordpress with a custom theme. The videos are displayed by using a script called Thickbox and the JW FLV player. While I tinker with the insides and such I am not a very good programer for that sort of stuff.
Josh Chesarek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion