Firewire Port Protection at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 19th, 2008, 11:23 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Firewire Port Protection

Has anyone used this?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...rd_Pro_DV.html

Is it any good?
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 12:03 AM   #2
Major Player

I've wondered about this myself & can't imagine it not doing what it's supposed to do. However, the specs on B&H's site lists a "data transfer rate" at 50MB/sec? FW400 is 400 megaBITS per sec, not megabytes :)
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 12:27 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
I've wondered about this myself & can't imagine it not doing what it's supposed to do. However, the specs on B&H's site lists a "data transfer rate" at 50MB/sec? FW400 is 400 megaBITS per sec, not megabytes :)
According to the internet 400Mb=50MB.

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #4
Major Player

DOH! Where's my head? You're right! I don't know what I was thinking. I suppose it's just I've never seen any firewire spec listed in MB... only Mb.

Actually it's 47.68... but what's a few MB? :)
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 03:22 AM   #5
Major Player

Of course, I'd much rather have the 8 pin ports in the cameras because they have the hard plastic shell around the plug. Those 4pin plugs are just so dang flimsy. And the plug usually has a huge hunk of plastic on it so it's really easy to jar the thing.
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 11:05 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I'm not an electrical engineer (not a complete novice either though), but I think if you connect the firefire cable to your computer first, and then your camera (not the other way around), the cable should be grounded and any static electricity should have been discharged before attaching to the camera. Can anybody here, with a better knowledge of electricity, confirm (or deny) that?

I've always connected to computer first (I don't really give a rip if I toast a $10 card), and then, just for good measure, touched the end of the cable to the computer frame before connecting to camera. So far (fingers crossed) I've never fried a firewire port on a camera.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #7
Inner Circle

What I do is: connect wire to camera first, then put one finger on metal part of FW port on computer, other finger (from other hand) on metal shield on FW cable. This should discharge any static electricity.

Worked fine till now.
Old March 20th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Firewire Port Protection

Slightly off topic, since most PC firewire ports are 6 pin and my VX is a 4 pin port, I worried about bad cables. The extra 2 pins carry power, not signal. So I put an extension PCI in, with 2 firewire and four USB 2.0 sockets. I modified one of the firewire ports to remove the power from pin 1 by cutting the track to the pin. Now I have no chance of frying the VX because of a bad cable. I always use the one modified socket for video I/O.

As for grounding, my cable is permanently connected at the PC end and I ground the cable and always plug the VX in before powering it on. No problems so far.

Cheers, Ian
Ian Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright View Post
I'm not an electrical engineer (not a complete novice either though), but I think if you connect the firefire cable to your computer first, and then your camera (not the other way around), the cable should be grounded and any static electricity should have been discharged before attaching to the camera. Can anybody here, with a better knowledge of electricity, confirm (or deny) that?
That's the conventional - and correct - wisdom.
John Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion