Whats the right camera for my needs? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 28th, 2008, 01:36 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Ok, So no matter what media I use to record on I should be fine. Ill go with MiniDV and package them up real good. Maybe Ill purchase a pelican case to send them home in. If I decide to use this camera for non professional stuff how can I transfer MiinDV to a source that will allow me to edit it at home without going broke? As far as a Mic goes, Ill look into Shotgun mic’s, boom, c-stand and cable. I would consider lighting if I could find a good deal on ebay but the Arri kits are up there $$$. Is it worth it to purchase one or two lights? Now with a light I need filters, gels, barn doors, etc right? If I get a reflector how much can a stand cost me?? At this point will a reflector and a stand break me?!? The only thing I don’t like about lapel mics is you can see it.

Chris
Christopher Feder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Feder View Post
Ok, So no matter what media I use to record on I should be fine. Ill go with MiniDV and package them up real good. Maybe Ill purchase a pelican case to send them home in. If I decide to use this camera for non professional stuff how can I transfer MiinDV to a source that will allow me to edit it at home without going broke? As far as a Mic goes, Ill look into Shotgun mic’s, boom, c-stand and cable. I would consider lighting if I could find a good deal on ebay but the Arri kits are up there $$$. Is it worth it to purchase one or two lights? Now with a light I need filters, gels, barn doors, etc right? If I get a reflector how much can a stand cost me?? At this point will a reflector and a stand break me?!? The only thing I don’t like about lapel mics is you can see it.

Chris

miniDV is a good choice. They are light and small, and hold an hour of recording. Nearly idea for your scenario. miniDV can be captured to computer by just about anyone. The tape will fit in anyone's miniDV camera or DV tape deck, and can be transferred to computer for editing. Piece of cake.

Arri kits (and Mole Richardson kits) are pricey, no doubt. But they are built to take a beating. Really you'd only need ONE if you are going to go with a reflector and stand (which is a great idea). A light stand should be about $100. A C-Stand about $175. Toss in a decent reflector for maybe $125 or a piece of foamcore for $15 and a grip for it for $50 and you're all set. You should be able to get all the sandbags you need on site! :)

In terms of the filters, you use those to change the color of the lights. If you only have one light, you'll only need one set of filters or gels. Basically, you'll be buying tungsten lights which are cheap (relatively speaking) and effective. You'll use one filter if your other light sources are flourescent, and a different one if you are trying to match the sun. If you have normal incandescent indoor lighting where you are shooting, you won't need any gels or filters.

So you're looking at a decent camera, a crapload of tapes, one decent light (a 1k fresnel with doors), a light stand, a c-stand for reflector, a c-stand for the mic, a shotgun mic, reflector, and a pair of headphones. That's a pretty good kit to carry around and all this should fit easily in a shipping trunk or similar.
Perrone Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #33
Regular Crew

What if I want to transfer my own stuff from MiniDV to Hard Disk Drive, DVD etc how can I do that? As far as lighting, how many watts should I look for? Do I make sure it has Barns, filters etc? Am I missing anything?!? Ill tell you what, do you want to trade a load of sand bags for a free reflector or something?? HAHAHHAHA. It’s just a shame there are not C-Stands and Shotgun mic’s available like there are sand bags. I am always open to advice so feel free to hit me with it. Ill look into the lighting and sound. Now comes the second part of questions but Ill have to find a category for that one because I’m in DV only.

Chris
Old March 29th, 2008, 02:35 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Don't waste your cash on a stand buy a chepo pastic tripod a stick , and some duck tape. You should really be able to get a reflector for under $100.

Aleast a 500 watt for indoors or at least a 1,000 watt forout doors.

Lapel mics are wore by every news anchor in the world and in about 50% of all interviews. (the other 50% is a boom)

What kind of steady-cam again. I really don't see it fitting in that well.
Andrew McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Well,

I'm not gonna go with Andrew on the stick and duct tape idea! LOL! But it's your call.

When I mentioned a 1k fresnel, the 1k refers to 1000 watts. That's what I'd go with. And yes, buy it with barn doors. There might be a filter kit depending on where you buy it. They'll ask what colors you need and you'll need to match your new light (tungsten) to daylight (so you'd need a "CTB" or Color Temperature Blue) and you'll need a different filter to match flourescent (I think it's a minus green, but I always forget.

Transferring miniDV to hard disk drive is what everyone does. Hook your camera up with a firewire cable to your PC. Start the editing software, tell it to capture, and it controls the camera and brings in the footage. Easy as pie.

Anyway, I know this seems like a lot at once, but honestly these are just shooting basics. Unfortunately, too many people try to shoot their first real footage with something like this, and it's a massive undertaking. You're trying to learn a camera, lighting, cinemaphotography, sound, editing, and post, all at once. It's really too much. Been there, done that.
Old March 29th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #36
Regular Crew

I am considering the Glidecam 4000Pro, Smooth Shooter or a used V-8. I want something that also has a vest and arm attachment. The steadycam will be used for footage here on the base. I will also use it when i come home. My only personal issue with lapel mics is that if the person moves around or talks loud/quiet and no one is monitoring the sound then what?!?! I figuer with a portable mic it might make that issue a little simpler and also give me the ability that a lapel does not as far as other stuff goes. Its not like I dont have time to learn this stuff... It's just I dont want to learn it half ass thats all. God Bless these threads.
Old March 30th, 2008, 09:08 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Most people use wireless lapels, espscialy when following someone around. The reson is no matter where the cameraman or the person is the audio on the person is allways the same. The boom works well for interviews or if you have a boom guy holding it on a pole. The reson is a boom will capture ambiant sound when on the camera, but for it to be get only the persons audio it needs to be at least 4 feet from the subject.

A standard practice for following someone around( say patroling the street) Would be to have the wireless lapel mic on channel 1 of the camera and have the on camera mic ( boom, Shotgun) on channel 2 to get the abient sounds.
Old March 31st, 2008, 01:37 AM   #38
Inner Circle

The JVC GY-DV300U is a quality MiniDV camera that has been discontinued, but can be found used, in great condition with low hours, for under $1000 (a heck of a lot of camera for the money). While the DV300U isn't widely known, it is a three 1/3" CCD camera (in the same class as a DVX100, PD170, etc), with a generous compliment of pro features, including XLR audio, full manual controls, OIS, zebra, and image tweaking like black stretch, etc. I don't really think you could find a better value in a standard definition MiniDV camera, to take to Afghanistan.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/s...&feature_id=03

With that camera, and a little over $1000 leftover for microphone, light weight tripod (maybe monopod), small camera light, lots of batteries, lots of tapes, a couple protective lens filters, a circular polarizer, etc., you could have yourself a nice little set of gear to shoot some great footage.

For a microphone, I'd suggest looking at Azden's SGM-2X for just a little over $200. It has two interchangeable barrels, so it can be used as either a supercardioid or an omni (essentially 2 mics in one).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...dioid_Mic.html

You might look at something like this for a small, lightweight light:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...deo_Light.html

I like these for protective lens filters (good value):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...V_0_Super.html
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 08:24 AM   #39
Regular Crew

Robert, I looked into the JVC and it appears to have great quality for webcasting, will that affect TV quality? Well after looking around I made the decision to look for a used camera to be able to stay under my budget and get everthing I want. So now I'm between the DVX100B, PD170 and the JVC but im still a little concerned. Does that JVC give the 24p that everyone wants?? Are there any issues with the Sony PD170 that anyone knows about? If you were purchasing a used camera like to sony or Panasonic what is the amount of hrs I want to look for? Is 245 hrs alot or a little of the camera is in GREAT Condition? What do I need to be concerned about when purchasing used video cameras? Just when I think I made up my mind, more questions come out.

Chris

(PS) Is anyone recording onto DVD other then the "Consumer"?

Last edited by Christopher Feder; April 1st, 2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old April 1st, 2008, 09:36 AM   #40
Inner Circle

I have 115 hours on my original (first year they were offered) DVX100 and I'd consider it VERY low hours. I don't think 250 hours is all that much. One thing that keeps my hours low is that I capture with a deck and not the camera. Most home shooters don't have this option so that would double the hours right there. 1 hour shoot, 1 hour capture.

I took a look at that JVC. Nice camera to be honest with some great features. Unfortunately, it doesn't shoot in 24 frames. Not a show stopper, but certainly something in the DVX's favor. Of course a used DVX will go for more money. I'd also venture a guess that the DVX will have FAR better aftermarket support, and comes with a better lens.

I'm always nervous about buying used discontinued models. Especially when they weren't around too long.

The PD170 is a TERRIFIC camera. And it's predecessor, the PD150 was the workhorse pro-DV camera for a LONG time because it would work with DVCam as well. But again, no 24p which works in the DVX's favor.

-P
Old April 1st, 2008, 11:06 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Basically your between the 170 and dvx. The 170 and 150 have been used extensively in Iraq. The 170 will give you more of a tv camera, news, real life look to the image, while the dvx will give you a smooth, filmic, lush color look.

So it depends on what kind of feel you want for the Doc.
Old April 1st, 2008, 11:49 AM   #42
Inner Circle

That webcasting feature with the DV300U is really just an extra feature (need an optional adapter to use it - I wouldn't bother with it). The way they present the information on the camera, it's sort of a distraction. It is a very capable camera, right in there with cameras like the PDs and the DVX (with or without the webcasting stuff). I'd look for a DV300U with less than 150 hours on it. I got mine, basically in mint condition, with only 34 hours on it (and paid well under $1k).
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 11:53 AM   #43
Inner Circle

It does't shoot 24p. It is also discontinued after a very short run. If he has trouble in Iraq, getting help with it is going to be a bear. Getting help with a PD170 or a DVX is going to be a phone call away.
Old April 1st, 2008, 11:59 AM   #44
Regular Crew

Still it's either the 170, or JVC for their real, tv, news look, or the dvx for it's cinematic look.
Old April 1st, 2008, 12:06 PM   #45
Obstreperous Rex

I have removed the link to the scam site offering a DVX100 for $999 -- an obvious rip-off.

The JVC DV300 is a good choice but no longer supported and difficult to find.

My suggestion is to buy either a used, good condition Sony PD170 or Panasonic DVX100 and shoot DV tape.

Catalog each tape as you go to ease the process logging them later.

If you don't need High Definition, just buy a DVX100 or PD170 and be done with it.

Just say no to a Steadicam and a bunch of other gear. An onboard light, extra batteries, a wireless lav and a wireless handheld mic and a good gear bag are all you need.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion