Whats the right camera for my needs? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 4th, 2008, 12:01 PM   #61
Regular Crew

The bigger the camera the steadier you can hold it, but the faster your arms get tired.

I love Matte Box's, but your really not goning to need one. If your gona use a matte box you camera should at least cost 10 grand and have 2/3 inch chips.

Basically they help stop lens flare and allow you to put some filters in front of the lens. They also make your camera look really really cool. I mean seriously when you see matte box you know he means buisness. :)
Andrew McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 12:27 PM   #62
Inner Circle

Actually, if I were shooting outdoors in the desert or other areas with a lot of direct sunlight and I couldn't control the direction of my shooting, I'd be thinking VERY hard about a Mattebox. Not only will the "French Flag" portion keep lens flare at a minimum, the ability to drop on a neutral density filter or a poloarizer, or a grad filter would be SUPER helpful.
But it's yet one more thing that doesn't work in a run-and-gun environment.

-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McMillan View Post
I love Matte Box's, but your really not goning to need one. If your gona use a matte box you camera should at least cost 10 grand and have 2/3 inch chips.

Basically they help stop lens flare and allow you to put some filters in front of the lens. They also make your camera look really really cool. I mean seriously when you see matte box you know he means buisness. :)
Perrone Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #63
Inner Circle

A few 58mm (for PD170 - different sizes for the other cameras mentioned) filters (circular polarizer and a few NDs - as well as a couple protective UV filters) would be suitable for this purpose.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 08:08 PM   #64
Regular Crew

Camera Suggestion

First, thanks for your service. Living in NC I know a lot of military families, and the sacrifices they make are something that we all should appreciate every day.

About the camera, I agree that light and easy to use will be the way to go. I shoot some documentary work, and I've found the Panasonic 3CCD handheld cameras to be very easy to use, inexpensive to equip with filters (polarizer, some others) and mics (Rode Videomic).

I use the GS-150, GS-180 and GS-500. Each of these have mic in options, and headphone out. I use a Beachtek adaptor to better control gain, and a headphone to monitor the sound. I think the biggest challenge for you will be sound. It gets loud where you are and without a good sound pickup it can easily become overloaded or highly distorted. Using a smaller camera may make it easier to control the sound to avoid problems.

The Panasonic GS-150, with Beachtek adaptor, polarizing filter and headphones can fit anywhere and more important can allow you to capture footage that you can't easily get from other cameras - like the PD-170 or DVX100B which are heavier and less flexible in fitting inside a Humvee or foxhole. I didn't realize myself how useful a small footprint camera is until I started filming the documentary footage - many of the shots couldn't easily be taken with the larger cameras.

One final advantage of the smaller Panasonic cameras is that anyone can shoot if you leave it in full auto. You may have some washout, but you will capture the footage. Imagine if you are in a very active encounter and you wished someone else could film with you -- with a small camcorder they can. You can even buy several smaller 3CCD camcorders for the price of a PD-170 or DVX100B.

Anyway, just my opinion. I'm sure you'll make the right choices, and keep in touch.
Len Capristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #65
Inner Circle

I would think a PDX10 would make a better choice than any of those cameras combined with a beachtek (especially the 1/6" chippers). Any palmcorder though, is going to suffer significantly weaker performance than one of the three 1/3" chippers, in anything but ideal lighting. I could see getting a palmcorder as a small backup camera, but I wouldn't spend much for it - perhaps a TRV70 for under $300 (used).
Old April 5th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #66
Regular Crew

But if your gone get a second cam make sure it has night shot.
By the way the camera sees by picking up infra red light (invisible to the human eye) from the infa red flash light on the front. Would it be a problem shinning an infa red light on the troops.
Old April 10th, 2008, 02:01 AM   #67
Regular Crew

Andrew, Our Night Vision Optics, Weapons systems and our new vehicles MRAP all use IR lighting so thats not a problme. As long as I can turn it on and off im good. The reason for the PD170 and DVX100B or because of the headphone input and lighting and Mic capibilities. In addition to the 24p and 60i features I have read do onders for film. Run & Gun stuff will be done with my palm cam or ill just purchase another one. The big boy camera will be used on this bae for interviews, behind the scenes or anything not combat related. I dont think I will be carring the big cameras outside the wire.
Christopher Feder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #68
Regular Crew

OKay. Then look for a good sony SD handycam with nightshot.
Are you sure you would never take the big boy outside though. I could image a good day light shot were you are following a marine and he awnsering your questions.
Old April 10th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #69
Regular Crew

Ok, Then in addition to a "Big Boy Camera" Ill get a good sony handycam with night shot, any suggestions??? The big boy camera would go outside, BUT not outside the wire. Not on patrol because if it gets broken then im SOL. It would be easier to replace a handycam then it would a Handycam. I might just get two (2) handycams and keep one as a back up. Will sony software download to Microsoft media Player? Is sony software really user friendly? Thats what im using right now on my computer.

Chris
Old April 10th, 2008, 03:02 PM   #70
Inner Circle

I'd suggest keeping your eyes open for a used TRV70 or TRV80. Those cameras are capable of shooting an excellent quality image in ideal lighting, and they seem to be going for pretty low prices nowadays (used).

Edit: Those cameras (TRV70 and TRV80) also have the night shot (but I've never used it).
Old April 10th, 2008, 03:43 PM   #71
Regular Crew

Ok, Ill look into thoes two camera. What about If I get a used JVC GR-HD1 at a good price? Would that be a good "B" and second shot camera to take out on patrol? Thoughts, Ideas Opinions? How would shooting one in HD and the oter in SD work in post? is that something that would screw up the film and editing?!?! Or would that just be defeating the purpose by getting one HD camera whe nthe rest as alll SD.

Chris
Old April 10th, 2008, 03:51 PM   #72
Inner Circle

I have an HD10U. It can shoot a nice image in SD (in real good light), but it's quite a bit bigger than a little palmcorder. I haven't really tried my HV20 in DV mode, but that might actually make a decent little backup camera.
Old April 10th, 2008, 03:53 PM   #73
Regular Crew

Well I was looking at the HV20 and 30 models before but am I going in 2 different directions if I am shooting in both HD and SD? Does Canon have Night Shots mode?

Chris
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:15 AM   #74
Regular Crew

Alot of cameras don't have night shot. Sonys are the ones that useally have it. If you the DP-170 I would definatly get a trv camera. The reson is

Fisrt cameras from the same companey (sony) are going to look more like each other.

second the trv is often used as a B camera for the 170.

third it's not HD so it will have better low light performance.

Fourth it's not HD so it will go great with your other SD cam.

Fith the only reason I didn't think of it was because I didn't know it had night shot.

And even if you go with the DVX 100 it is still a good choice.
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:23 AM   #75
Regular Crew

Oh uh woops sorry there I was thinking about the TRV 950, but they are really expensive. The trv 80 may not be good enough for you. May a newer sony handy will do the trick.

This is the end of the road for me as I don't know anything about consumer comeras.

Only pro stuff for me.
Andrew McMillan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion