DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   So what's the deal with Indian Mattebox's (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/118593-so-whats-deal-indian-matteboxs.html)

Andrew McMillan April 4th, 2008 01:20 PM

So what's the deal with Indian Mattebox's

I know some one around here has one could you please comment.
They look just like the cavision ones. How do they compare.

Call me crazy, but i don't want to pay more than a grand for a couple pieces of plastic.

I mean could I really go wrong with getting one of these. Yeah, they are stealling designs,

Andrew McMillan April 4th, 2008 01:57 PM

But isn't charging soo much for a mattebox even worse than stealing.

Andrew McMillan April 4th, 2008 02:11 PM

I'm sorry I wasn't clear, In case you don't know Cine-city ,an ebay store, sells knock off matteboxs and other gear for really cheap.

Levi Bethune April 5th, 2008 09:33 AM

I went ahead and bought the "wide angle matte box with rod support" from the cine-city ebay store, and it's been great. I have a JVC HD110 and it fits perfectly.

It has the foam ring so it doesn't technically even touch my camera, and is supported solely by the rod system. It's solid and light, with one filter holder that rotates, the other is fixed. The french flag, when installed without the side flags, is kind of loose and will slip unless the hex nut is tightened, but with the side flags in place, it's really a great setup. I put a couple small strips of gaff on the top edges of the side flags to keep any noise down when running handheld.

It came with the proper tools and a few replacement screws and extra foam rings. Shipping from India takes a while, but it wasn't that expensive, and for the price break, I can wait.

I haven't had any trouble with it, except I bought it with the rod support, and that was a mistake. I had to rig it up with some other quick-release plates and kind of re-assemble it to make it fit on my camera. I probably bought the wrong rod support system, but they swear that it's a "universal". I'm very pleased with the matte box for the price, and really, I don't see any reason to spend more money on something that really has simple functionality.

I might be able to post pictures tomorrow when I get back home.

Andrew McMillan April 5th, 2008 10:36 AM

What if I have a full size 2/3 shoulder cam? Those rails won't work. do they have the quick release v-mount rod holder for big cams.

Do you have any pics I would love to see em

Levi Bethune April 5th, 2008 11:19 AM

The matte box is basically just a copy of a Cavision or Century, depending on the model that you buy from Cine-City. I got mine with the Rod Support, but you can buy one separately I'm sure. As long as it takes the 15mm rods, you'll be fine.

I'll post pictures when I get home tonight or tomorrow morning.

Andrew McMillan April 5th, 2008 08:57 PM

okay great

Chris Coulson April 6th, 2008 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levi Bethune (Post 854833)

I'll post pictures when I get home tonight or tomorrow morning.

I'd be really interested to see pics and opinions too!

Levi Bethune April 6th, 2008 09:43 AM

a few pictures up on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oranges...7604412495433/

Ivan Snoeckx April 6th, 2008 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew McMillan (Post 854819)
What if I have a full size 2/3 shoulder cam? Those rails won't work. do they have the quick release v-mount rod holder for big cams.

Do you have any pics I would love to see em

The matteboxes from Century Optics (now Schneider Optics) ar originally made by VOCAS in the Netherlands and are manufactured of molded carbon fiber and CNC machined aluminum. They are also know as Shade FX in the USA.

They are also available for 2/3" camcorders (see the MB-serie on their website: vocas.com). It can be used with or without the mattebox support. My advice is to always use a mattebox support to protect your lens, even if you don't own a mattebox. A French flag is included with all the boxes from the broadcast serie, and the eyebrowns are also standard.

They are much better made then Cavision, but just not so good as Chrosziel.

Andrew McMillan April 7th, 2008 12:25 PM

Wow that looks great. I think they offer a vesion with eyebrows too.

Any way are you looking to get the V-mount plate rod support plate thing so you can use the original tripod plate and go handhled?

Andrew McMillan April 7th, 2008 12:27 PM

you need a photo of the whole camera too.

Ivan Snoeckx April 7th, 2008 02:02 PM

You can attach the VOCAS MBS-100 lightweight support under the camera instead of the original V-mount plate from Sony, Panasonic, JVC or whatever you are using. Then it works with a tripod like you used to. The 15mm rail system is also a great way to protect your lens from bumping against the floor ;-)

The MB-315, MB-325, MB-350 and MB-450 have the eyebrowns included.

Andrew McMillan April 7th, 2008 05:15 PM

Is there a specific name for that thing.

Levi Bethune April 7th, 2008 09:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Photo of entire camera added per request. Shown with french flag and side flags.