DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   how do i prevent this? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/119058-how-do-i-prevent.html)

Kev O'Brien April 10th, 2008 01:22 PM

how do i prevent this?

i keep having problems with this ghosting on moving images, is there a way to prevent it?

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...sid/Image1.jpg

hope someone can help

thanks

Charlie Gillespie April 10th, 2008 01:45 PM

Increase the shutter speed maybe....

Robert M Wright April 10th, 2008 02:12 PM

What camera are you shooting with Kev?

Kev O'Brien April 10th, 2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert M Wright (Post 857807)
What camera are you shooting with Kev?

its a canon xh-a1 shot at 50i im shooting a high shutter speeds already 250-500 and its fine for most of the footage but for some of the kitesurfing tricks im using extreme slo mo which then shows it up

Robert M Wright April 10th, 2008 02:20 PM

That's interlace artifacts. On a progressive display, you are seeing 2 fields (at the same time) shot 1/50th of a second apart. You can deinterlace the footage or shoot 25F to get rid of that on a progressive display.

Lloyd Coleman April 10th, 2008 02:28 PM

You don't mention what editing program you are using, but if it is showing up just with slow motion footage I would guess that the ghosting in caused by frame blending. Since the A1 can't overcrank, when you slow it down it has to take the existing frames and do some form of duplication. For example, if you slow it down to 50% the software could just duplicate each frame so it is showing twice instead of once. When you view this at normal speed the footage looks slowed down. Since this simple form of slow motion can look jerky many programs will 'blend' frames, meaning rather than simply duplicating the previous frame they create a new frame by blending the previous frame with the next frame. Depending on how well the software does this you can get ghosting like is shown in your example.

The problem can also be caused by the software creating a progressive image from an interlaced one. Although you can see it in the frame you posted, when you view the video at normal viewing speed you may not notice it.

Robert M Wright April 10th, 2008 02:36 PM

Take a frame grab from a 1080 line interlaced video (2 fields 1/50th of a second apart), of something moving quickly, shot at a high shutter speed, resize the image to 439 lines and a it will look like that every time.

Robert M Wright April 10th, 2008 02:45 PM

The posted image is deceptive, because resizing has effectively blended the fields (which eliminates the interlace lines you would see in the full size image).

Kev O'Brien April 10th, 2008 03:27 PM

your loosing me a bit :-/

im down converting my footage from the a1 and editing in sony vegas pro 8

on my footage propertys it says that its lower field first so i set my project propertys to that and have it set to interpolate fields

what would you recomend i change?

Robert M Wright April 10th, 2008 03:36 PM

Deinterlace the footage before downsizing it.

Kev O'Brien April 10th, 2008 03:38 PM

im downconverting it direct from the camera using the downconvert function

should i render the footage before i edit?

Robert M Wright April 10th, 2008 04:39 PM

To get rid of that ghosting effect, you'll need to capture it as HDV, rather than have the camera convert it to DV for capture.

Kev O'Brien April 10th, 2008 04:41 PM

ok thanks i will give it a try and play around a bit

thanks for your time

Robert M Wright April 10th, 2008 04:49 PM

I don't know what I was thinking there for a minute. (I'm in rough shape today - having a lot of pain.) You could deinterlace the DV downconverted by the camera for capture, but it would work a lot better to deinterlace the original recorded HDV. A simple method would be to discard a field. You could also deinterlace to 50p, which would be great for slow-mo, but that would get more involved (and take more work).