Missing audio in 1394 stream at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 13th, 2003, 09:21 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Missing audio in 1394 stream

Hi all,

I'm just writing to see if anone else has experienced this problem and has any suggestions for how to get round it.

I have a miniDV tape from a client (recorded from FCP 3).

When I play it on my camera, all is well, audio and video all play.

When I play it on my VTR (a DSR-11) I get both audio and video OK on the analogue outputs.

When I play it on the DSR-11 I get ONLY video on the 1394 outputs. A valid 1394 stream is output, but the audio is silence!

I have tried mixing 1&2 with 3&4 on the DSR-11 (just in case the audio was on the other channels) but with no success.

This also happens if I try to capture over 1394 from either of my two cameras.

Anyone experienced this?

Regards,

Julian
Julian Luttrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2003, 08:02 PM   #2
Wrangler

Is it possible that the DSR-11 needs to be put in a special mode to play back DV? Like the DSR-30 does? My DSR-20 does both DV and DVCam without adjustment.

Is this a recent phenomenon or?

Might it be an interleave problem?
Old July 14th, 2003, 01:26 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The DSR-11 selects between DVCAM and DV with no adjustment.

Interleave problem - this isn't something I had explored. Now I come to think about it, I can't see how interleave would affect audio - but am I missing something here?

The same problem occurs with this tape in both my (sony) cams - a PDX10 and an old TRV10.

The funny thing is that this tape _starts_ OK, and suddenly loses audio after about 12 minutes.

The funniest thing is that I can play the tape in one device (VTR, cam), and dub it to another over 1394, and the receiving device plays the audio OK while recording, but does not play the audio back over 1394 later!!

This is really wierd - tell me I've missed something obvious!!

Julian
Old July 15th, 2003, 02:07 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Works with Sony Vaio

Hi,

this gets curiouser and curiouser.

I have managed to capture successfully - so the audio comes across OK - over 1394 by capturing to my 2 year old Sony Vaio laptop.

I have a faint memory that the 1394 driver on the Vaio is different from the bog-standard one usually found on a PC - can anyone else confirm this and supply any anecdotal evidence of the difference?

In the meantime I have an "impossible" miniDV tape here for my archives!!

Regards,

Julian
Old July 15th, 2003, 09:26 AM   #5
Major Player

1394 connections seem very reliable, but a few Vegas users have had trouble getting it set up and going properly. (It does not seem to be a Vegas issue, though.) Drivers has been mentioned in some of those threads, and usually the standard Microsoft 1394 driver is recommended. I have had success with that, but also with the Texas Instruments driver which is sometimes supplied with 1394 cards.
The capture over 1394, however, should be a simple moving of digital data, like a file copy in Windows. The sound part of the data stream will not be identifiable to the capture card at all, nor its driver. Your problem must be at a point after the capture.
Tor Salomonsen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion