Red Button Day at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 24th, 2008, 03:02 PM   #1
Major Player

Red Button Day

I cant help but contemplate wher we will be in 20 years time
with this GRID business on the horizon.

Red Button Day is just around the corner.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle3689881.ece

Some companies are helping us out in a major way to be in a position to broadcast this amazing footage independantly once we have the speeds.
One company of the same namesake (makes me wonder if its cooincidence or more) are pushing the aquisition technology at the required pace.

What are peoples opinions here. How long will we realistically have to wait untill we have internet speeds 10000 times faster than now.
I cant imagine any time soon in my country.
But it really is exciting stuff, if only to play xbox live with 1000's of people at once.
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 03:28 AM   #2
Major Player

It will be quite some time, especially I think in a geographically large country such as the USA, where I am located.

The article does point out that it requires fiber optic connections everywhere.
That really means everywhere, including to your home and even within it.

Have you installed fiber optic networking within your home? I bet not.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 05:27 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I don't think the lack of fiber optic connections is the biggest problem. My subdivision, built 11 years ago, has fiber optics layed down - and unused. I read some place that the intercontinental fiber optics main lines only work at a small fraction of their capacity.

The big thing in the lack of interest, or even worse, the opposition of internet providers to supply us with higher speeds; they simply want to squeeze the last penny out of the old, outdated technology before we force them to go to higher speed.

How would you otherwise explain that ISPs in the States still offer dialup when the Far East is on 50 Mbps internet?
Old May 3rd, 2008, 01:18 PM   #4
Major Player

Just for now, Im going to look optimistically at this and not look for a problem. Instead I'm looking with amazement at the fact that someone, somewhere this June will be able to send information at 10000 times the speed we can now.

Doesn't this pluck a cord with anyone else here, or is it just me who is intrigued by a mechanism that can ultimately broadcast our full 4k footage with ease in realtime? Let alone involve thousands of people in the same online game.

I mean come on people. This is surely worth speculating about. When I look a this article it feels like someone is winding me up.

http://www.dailywireless.org/2008/04/07/7629/
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion