what to shoot..... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 14th, 2003, 09:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

what to shoot.....

WOW after months of saving and a few months of waiting for a broken harddrive I'm ready to make some GOOD video. I first got my GL1, then upgraded from 512 to a full gig of memory. And finally I received my 160gig 7200 rpm Maxtor firewire drive. So here I am ready to make a video and I don't have a clue what to make it about. I bought my setup primarily for skate videos but I haven't been skating a lot lately. Is there any type of project video, advertisemment, or skit I could try just to see how things work out. If anyone has like a widely used practice skit...I would like some hints. This question may sound awful dumb but I really don't know where to start. Any ideas. thanks
Luke Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2003, 09:35 AM   #2
Major Player

my advise would be to search online for some funny story jokes - short ones with a good punchline. Try to shoot those if you are at a loss for an idea. Spec ads are also another thing to do if you run out of ideas. Just think of a fake product and make a quick ad around it.
Brad Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2003, 09:39 AM   #3
Major Player

I have some ten-minutes plays on my crappy, personal website:

http://www.mdmoore.org

Feel free to use and or bastardize any of the work/ideas.

Good luck with the projects!
Old July 14th, 2003, 09:39 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Actually I just had that same feeling a few days ago where I was quite literaly depressed cause I couldnt think of anything to shoot. The next day i just went over my fello film-maker friends house and we just hung out with our cameras. But still I have that need to shoot something but I will start a bigger project once school starts and I have an hour of Independent Study studying video everyday.
Brian Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2003, 12:47 PM   #5
Warden

Shoot everyday, it's the only way to get better at what you do. Go to a park, go to a zoo, go to the beach, go to the mountains, it really doesn't matter, just shoot. You can read all about video and talk about it but actually doing it is the only way you will improve. It doesn't matter if you're tracking a squirrel or a skate boarder, it will all improve your technique and help you become more familiar with your equipment.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2003, 03:28 PM   #6
Trustee

Luke, What do you like? I enjoy entomology so for years I videoed dozens of clips of insects. Feeding, flying, mating, moving, you name it. Recently, I was asked to do a short childrens video on insects. I got to edit and pick out my best footage. You are in Korea? Video life in Korea, when you get back to the State or where ever, do a short documentary for Lions clubs, Rotary, etc. They are always looking for guest speakers and this would be great. Just go out and shoot!! It will come to you. Bob Safay
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2003, 04:19 PM   #7
Major Player

I heard about a fella, been saving up for all the right gear and getting ready for some real action, and then, when he's supposed to begin - not an idea in his head.

Your video could start right there. It's a perfect start for a video.
I'm told that if you ask for directions in Ireland you risk getting the answer: If I were you I wouldn't start from here. But my advise is do just that: Start where you are. There are no opportunity cards waiting to let you move forward to Start (and collect 2000). Forget it. Just open your eyes and see your own predicament - there's your starting point. Now, shoot that.
Tor Salomonsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2003, 09:43 PM   #8
Wrangler

There are lots of home-town, family and friends events that can be taped. I don't mean a casual stroll in with the camera rolling. I mean plan your work, execute to the plan, then edit it to a finished piece. Just as if you were being paid megabucks for the work.

Then show it around. Troll for comments. Especially negative comments. Ignore the, "Oh it's great," stuff. Unless you truly feel it is.

There are books, tapes, classes, and intern work to name a few ways of picking up information. Did I mention cinema classes at the nearest community college? In Korea?

Early-on, I did a piece on my wife's flowers. Set to music with just simple slow dissolves and she likes it. It was a learning experience in DOF and wind and light.

Just go out and tape something. :-)
Old July 17th, 2003, 03:40 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks guys for all of your help. Muchly appreciated as usual.
Luke Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2003, 04:26 AM   #10
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Luke,

I lived in Seoul for seven years (civilian, not military) and just moved to Japan a year ago. What should you film in Korea? Holy mackeral! That's one of the most interesting and DIFFERENT cultures in the world?

Do a piece on the yoghurt ladies in their little yellow outfits and their pushcarts, or how about the salesmen who walk through the narrow streets with a bullhorn advertising their services (like buying and selling dogs for consumption), or how about drinking traditions (especially "royal shots"), or how about ajumas on the subway, or the fact that everyone loves to sing and will sing at the drop of a hat, or the little orange street dining tents that crop up after sundown...

...I could go on for days. You're in a rich environment there. Take advantage of it...the homogenized world is everywhere else.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion